Moving To Jackson, Mi?

Willi

Hi everyone.  We currently live in Illinois.  Words alone can't explain how we want to leave.  But then I want to set my son, (who has a traumatic brain injury), up in a state that will have water in 50 years from now.  Plus I really love peaches and apples.  But I don't want lake effect snow, and I also want nice people to hang around with who speak English.  Is Jackson, MI the place for me to set up my son?

what part of illinois are you from? chicago or not-chicago? i dont think lake michigan will drain that fast for chicago. maybe i misunderstand your requirements.

jackson is an interesting small city. not much happens there.

it is 40 miles to ann arbor, which has great health care resources.

Hi everyone.  We currently live in Illinois.  Words alone can't explain how we want to leave.  But then I want to set my son, (who has a traumatic brain injury), up in a state that will have water in 50 years from now.  Plus I really love peaches and apples.  But I don't want lake effect snow, and I also want nice people to hang around with who speak English.  Is Jackson, MI the place for me to set up my son?

For what it's worth, consider moving to Flint. It's only about another 1:15 north. Flint is one of the most friendly MMJ spots in Michigan. Yeah we have that water crisis thing, but that's easy to deal with. Housing prices are low. Flint is enjoying a rebirth. I have lived in or near Flint my entire life. There are bad areas and good - like any rust belt city. Flint is poised to have a really vibrant downtown, hopefully some day to compete with the likes of Ferndale and Royal Oak and maybe even Ann Arbor. (Sorry I don't know any cities in IL to compare to.)

The branch campus of the Universiry of Michigan has over 7,000 students enrolled. Flint is home to Kettering University (formerly GMI), one of the best engineering colleges in the U.S. Michigan State University just opened a medical school branch in Flint.

I'm in a position where I could easily get the hell out, but I think Flint is going to be one of the best rust belt success stories over the next 20 years, so I'm staying.

We are from near Rockford.  Chicago is the murder capital of IL, but Rockford is shooting for number 1.  Not wanting my family to have extra holes, the crime rate and the laws here are what have me thinking about Jackson, MI.  Out west, there's going to be water shortages.  And having family in the Chicago area, I think we can do a 4 and 1/2 hour drive every now and then.  I would go to Niles, MI, but them people get way too much lake effect.  But it's not just my son, I have PTSD and Illinois doesn't care.  Because of my eyes, (I"m almost totally blind), is the reason the lake effect snow is something that I really want to stay away from.  I'm hoping being all blind and having a prescription for valium will get me a prescription for marijuana?  I am on disability.  I've heard Michigan has compassion.

For what it's worth, consider moving to Flint. It's only about another 1:15 north. Flint is one of the most friendly MMJ spots in Michigan. Yeah we have that water crisis thing, but that's easy to deal with. Housing prices are low. Flint is enjoying a rebirth. I have lived in or near Flint my entire life. There are bad areas and good - like any rust belt city. Flint is poised to have a really vibrant downtown, hopefully some day to compete with the likes of Ferndale and Royal Oak and maybe even Ann Arbor. (Sorry I don't know any cities in IL to compare to.)

The branch campus of the Universiry of Michigan has over 7,000 students enrolled. Flint is home to Kettering University (formerly GMI), one of the best engineering colleges in the U.S. Michigan State University just opened a medical school branch in Flint.

I'm in a position where I could easily get the hell out, but I think Flint is going to be one of the best rust belt success stories over the next 20 years, so I'm staying.

I'm going to be dead in 20 years.  So I think I'd like to enjoy the rest of my life.  Besides, I was hoping to smoke weed, not water.  lol  My son is only 23 so I'm hoping he's got at least 50 years plus to go.  Does Jackson sound like it's got a good 50 year history?  Sorry about the water joke, if I don't use my humor, I get too sad. 

Edited by Willi

flint has been named most dangerous city in america, multiple times in the last 5 years.

flint residents pay more for water than most of the usa too. so dig a well.

flint imo looks about as safe as detroit.

on the plus side, since the poisoned water crisis, houses can be bought for chump change.

https://flint.craigslist.org/reb/5660330510.html

house just sittin there 2000 sq ft for $35k.

another i see on the ole craigslist:

$13000 / 4br - 3294ft2 - 4/bdrm 2/bth $13k Flint

of course there are ritzier subs around flint that have better homes.

PTSD is a qualifying condition for medical marijuana here in michigan.

PTSD nor dying qualifies you in Illinois.  It's hard to come up with words to describe the compassion Illinois has.  Jackson, MI sounds like not too much snow.  Are there handicap services there?

flint has been named most dangerous city in america, multiple times in the last 5 years.flint residents pay more for water than most of the usa too. so dig a well.flint imo looks about as safe as detroit.on the plus side, since the poisoned water crisis, houses can be bought for chump change.https://flint.craigslist.org/reb/5660330510.htmlhouse just sittin there 2000 sq ft for $35k.another i see on the ole craigslist:$13000 / 4br - 3294ft2 - 4/bdrm 2/bth $13k Flintof course there are ritzier subs around flint that have better homes.

Heh. Flint has been in the top five for violent crime every year since the 1980s. You just have to know what areas to stay away from. Half the city is OK, the other half is a cess-pool.

of course there are ritzier subs around flint that have better homes. 

Yup, and a LOT lower crime rate. Burton comes to mind. Nice place to raise a family. The biggest problem with Flint is that people are moving away. That puts stress on the whole infrastructure. It has shrinking pains. Same with a lot of cities in America. Look for a city that is growing.  

Edited by Restorium2

As far as snow goes, here are the averages. I used to live in Parma, just outside Jackson. back in the early 90's and it was a struggling community then, i havent been back since though, so no current info as to the state of affairs.   http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/county/michigan/jackson   Climate

CLIMATE OVERVIEW   

Jackson County, Michigan, gets 31 inches of rain per year.

The US average is 37.

Snowfall is 39 inches.

The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year.

The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 126.

On average, there are 175 sunny days per year in Jackson County, Michigan.

The July high is around 83 degrees.

The January low is 16.

Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 50 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable.

The US average on the comfort index is 44.

CLIMATE Jackson, Michigan United States   Rainfall (in.)  questionmark.png 31.2 /36.5  

Snowfall (in.)  questionmark.png 38.7 /25   

Precipitation Days  questionmark.png 126 /100   

Sunny Days  questionmark.png 175/ 205   

Avg. July High  questionmark.png 82.9/ 86.5  

Avg. Jan. Low  questionmark.png 15.5 /20.5   

Comfort Index (higher=better)  questionmark.png 50 /44   

UV Index  questionmark.png 3.2/ 4.3   

Edited by Hempcheff

Flint is a shiithole, I would never move there.   The poster is asking for a place to live that isn't like Rockford,IL. 

That is  definitely not Flint. Rockford sux arse.  I would say Jackson is only mildly better than Rockford IMO. Same type of thing. Crappy far suburban city with a decent amount of crime and unsavory people.  I cant speak to any gang activity in Jackson. Ask a local there.

As far as snow goes, It isn't much different than Rockford except 'right' along the lake or in the Upper Peninsula.

I also want nice people to hang around with who speak English.

This i find questionable.  So, going out on a limb,  I am guessing(please correct me) you want to leave Rockford because of Mexicans and black gang crime?

If true, better move much further North.  Far Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula maybe.

With your son, I would look at being close to a decent medical facility.  I would check around for that.

U you can ask more.

I was from the Aurora area. The murder capitol per capita through much of the 90's. 

Rockford is similar.

I  live in the Upper Peninsula, which  I love.  But it isn't for everyone. 

Don't move to Jackson if you want to get away from gangs and shootings. A large State prison is located in Jackson and all the thugs who can't afford to go home after they get released end up staying right there. My buddy lives downtown on 3rd street and he hears gunshots regularly and there were some drive by shootings last month that injured 4 people. His house got robbed in June and they took everything, including his meds. He is now moving.

Move to the country area outside of Jackson, you won't regret it. Or to somewhere nicer, like Chelsea or Ann Arbor. It will cost more to live but it's worth it. I have PTSD from my service in Iraq and I know from experience that living in a high crime area like Jackson will make it worse. Do yourself a favor and look somewhere else.

Flint is a shiithole, I would never move there.   The poster is asking for a place to live that isn't like Rockford,IL. 

That is  definitely not Flint. Rockford sux arse.  I would say Jackson is only mildly better than Rockford IMO. Same type of thing. Crappy far suburban city with a decent amount of crime and unsavory people.  I cant speak to any gang activity in Jackson. Ask a local there.

As far as snow goes, It isn't much different than Rockford except 'right' along the lake or in the Upper Peninsula.

This i find questionable.  So, going out on a limb,  I am guessing(please correct me) you want to leave Rockford because of Mexicans and black gang crime?

If true, better move much further North.  Far Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula maybe.

With your son, I would look at being close to a decent medical facility.  I would check around for that.

U you can ask more.

I was from the Aurora area. The murder capitol per capita through much of the 90's. 

Rockford is similar.

I  live in the Upper Peninsula, which  I love.  But it isn't for everyone. 

Flint isn't a shithole.  Flint has a huge shithole though.  Like any rustbelt city, you kinda have to know where you can go and still be safe(ish).

The area south of the Flint River, west of Dort Highway, east of Swartz Creek (that's the creek itself - not the City of Swartz Creek) and north of I-69 is a pretty nice area and is boiling-over with new commercial investment. 

The bad areas of Flint are really not that different from the bad areas of Detroit, Lansing, Jackson, Port Huron, Saginaw, Bay City, and Ann Arbor.  You just have to know where not to go.

Flint isn't a shithole.  Flint has a huge shithole though.  Like any rustbelt city, you kinda have to know where you can go and still be safe(ish).

The area south of the Flint River, west of Dort Highway, east of Swartz Creek (that's the creek itself - not the City of Swartz Creek) and north of I-69 is a pretty nice area and is boiling-over with new commercial investment. 

The bad areas of Flint are really not that different from the bad areas of Detroit, Lansing, Jackson, Port Huron, Saginaw, Bay City, and Ann Arbor.  You just have to know where not to go.

Basically, that is  what I am saying. Don't live in any of those places.  You have 80 percent the rest of the state to choose from. :-)

I wont live in any city where I have to concern myself with a bad side of town. I did that for a large chunk of my life until i realized you do not have to live that way. :-)

So effectively, they are all shiit holes i wouldn't live in. Hahaha...

;-)

Basically, that is  what I am saying. Don't live in any of those places.  You have 80 percent the rest of the state to choose from. :-)

I wont live in any city where I have to concern myself with a bad side of town. I did that for a large chunk of my life until i realized you do not have to live that way. :-)

So effectively, they are all shiit holes i wouldn't live in. Hahaha...

;-)

Yeah. You got it right. But some of us are a glutton for punishment I guess. Years ago I turned down a sweet job offer in Denver and decided to stay in the Flint area because I thought the upside, years down the road, was huge. But, I'm also a diehard Lions fan. :(

see ^^^ couldve moved to denver, bought a house for cheap, then sold it now, because denver houses are crazy right now. made a mint, been in one of the first legalization states, and watched the lions lose on tv.

instead, hes in flint. murder capital, dangerous city, and poisoned by rick snyder and the republicans emergency manager law.

let that be a lesson to everyone!

just kidding highlander. unfortunately i dont see any possible way for flint nor detroit to recover. unless all other cities become more expensive or california falls into the ocean or something.

Yes Saline is very nice.  Chelsea also has a really nice, clean, vibrant downtown and is fairly close to Jackson.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the really nice places are also very expensive.  Alpena has gotten high ratings as a good all-around choice, with plenty of educational and medical services, numerous recreational options, access to Lake Huron, and all of the retail options you'd need.

Montrose (northern Genesee County) is a good option as a safe area with reasonable real estate prices and a good school.  They are also very cannabis friendly.  The mayor (or former mayor) was public about being a caregiver and even testified in front of the legislature in Lansing.  Montrose is close to shopping for regular needs (Menard's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, pharmacies, restaurants, car dealers, etc.)

Somebody mentioned Flushing earlier.  Flushing is a nice town but seems to have slipped a bit over recent years.  And Flushing isn't cannabis friendly.  A few years ago, the chief of police was quoted in an Mlive story as saying that his department reports any interaction with MMJ cardholders to the federal crime database.  Not the kind of place I'd want to live.

Clinton is nice and while these smaller towns aren't exactly thriving, the farm based economies are probably more stable than most other Michigan urban or decaying industrial based ones.

I was born in Benton Harbor seventy years ago and watched it decline for the next forty as the industrial base died.

I have been waiting for its renaissance for thirty years. But even after over two-hundred million in state and fed programs seeing any real turnaround remains a forlorn hope.

The current program de jour is the Whirlpool foundation backed (with lots of State and Fed tax dollars as well, naturally) Harbor Shores development to the west of the Paw Paw river and south of the seedy Morton Hill area. How or why anyone would think an island of high dollar homes centered around Nicklaus Signature Golf Course would lead to a revitalized downtown is almost unfathomable given the results of the past twenty years of futility but so it goes.

If brute force doesn't work trying more brute force doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, unless you have lots of money, the smaller towns are better value.

And regardless where you end up, all the best with a difficult situation.

Edited by outsideinthecold