4209 And Others Not Dead?

pergamum362

Let's put it this way. Anything can happen. The craven still seek passage for the bills. Unfortunately for those few, Sen Meekoff hold the keys to the car on this one, and I just don't see him passing mmj language at a time he still has political aspirations.

One sure guarantee: Anything passed in the lame duck will suck, and restrict patients and caregivers.

I am crossing my fingers on behalf of MILegalze, but that too seems a seriously long shot. We will know soon, how the Michigan Supreme Court feels about this.... Will they be a sock puppet for AG Schuette... Or will they show some spine?

"LANSING — The Republican-led Michigan Legislature returns for voting this week after a three-month summer break, with plans for an abbreviated calendar before the crucial November election determines which party controls the House.

Both chambers will have three weeks in session before the election, or nine days. The House schedule is front-loaded to September, while the Senate — whose members are not up for election for another two years — will be in session off and on into October.

There could be a lot on the docket, but lawmakers may leave until the post-election "lame duck" period final resolution of some of the highest-priority, most contentious items: energy and criminal justice legislation.

A rundown of what will, or will not, be on the agenda:

Must do:

Because the state budget taking effect in October has already been enacted, there is little, if anything, that absolutely must be passed now. But legislators will want to make progress on some bills or risk them being crowded out by more pressing issues when crunch time comes late in November and December. Legislation not enacted will die when the two-year session expires in December.

High priority:

Top priorities for GOP legislative leaders and Republican Gov. Rick Snyder continue to be an update of energy laws and changes in parole and probation policies. Lawmakers have been unable to resolve issues that ultimately affect consumers' bills — competition in the electricity market, how much power should come from wind and other renewable sources, and whether to require energy-efficiency markers. The last energy rewrite in 2008 was enacted in October of an election year, but lawmakers appear to be more at odds this time around, making a pre-election deal a tall order. Bills have not yet cleared the House or Senate. A nonprofit connected to Michigan's two major utilities, DTE Energy and Consumers Energy, spent $7.4 million in 2015 to influence the debate primarily with advertising, according to a recent analysis by the Michigan Campaign Finance Network.

First up:

Senators will resume session Tuesday. Majority Republicans plan to revisit the energy legislation and marijuana bills in a private caucus meeting. House-passed measures would tax and regulate medical marijuana, which is legal under a 2008 voter initiative, in a tiered licensing and distribution system while allowing dispensary shops and non-smokable forms of the drug. Some senators were undecided about the marijuana legislation before they adjourned in June.

Driverless cars:

The Senate plans to quickly pass bills that would allow for public sales and operation of self-driving cars, a significant expansion beyond an existing law that sanctions such vehicles for testing only. The legislation would allow for the operation of autonomous vehicles on public roads without anyone at the wheel.

It is a priority for Snyder, who told The Associated Press in a recent interview that "everybody wants to see Michigan be a leader in" intelligent vehicles. "One of the things the legislation would allow us to do is make sure Michigan's a leader in understanding the safety issues and making sure it's done the most appropriate way. I'd rather rely on us for making sure we're doing good safety than other parts of the country because we actually know how to make cars. ... Some of these other places, they talk a good game but they don't make near as many vehicles."

Flint water crisis:

It has been nearly four months since a special legislative committee concluded investigative hearings into the lead contamination that began when the financially strapped city's water source was switched under state management. The Legislature has allocated $240 million. But policy recommendations, including potential revisions to the emergency manager law, have yet to be released — sparking questions from Democrats on the GOP-controlled panel.

Republicans now could wait to make recommendations, originally due in May, until after the election. Democrats fighting to win the House majority for the first time since 2010 have tried to tie GOP lawmakers to the crisis by criticizing them for not calling Snyder to testify and allowing public money to be spent on lawyers helping him with Flint-related legal matters."

Edited by phaquetoo

In fact the AG's brief is not real respectful of the questions as framed. I suppose this reflects the lack of experience MILegalizes brought to the table. Next time raise the freakin money prior to starting the 180 day clock, as was suggested by CPU and Rep Irwin (among others). Trying to beat MCC and MRC, who both flamed, turns out to have been a tragic flaw in strategy, eh?

hay. I respect you but you said coa. which confused me as they were in the supreme court. don't be mad at me.

I mailed Jeff hank who said he's working on us supreme court filling. I think that will be unsuccessful. ussc does not take many cases.

he said other signors may take the case to us dist court. they should have better luck there. anyone talk to Matt abel?

hayduke... the one Michigan law says the supreme Court had to review the decision of bosc. hank said they dismissed that one. maybe send the docs to zap so he can post them. I'm curious about something

I understand all the bills passed the full Senate today. Only two have been published so far with Senate amendments that passed, see below:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billengrossed/House/pdf/2015-HEBS-4209.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billengrossed/House/pdf/2015-HEBS-4827.pdf

I am not sure what amendments modified the House-passed version of HB 4210, but that is below, for reference:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billengrossed/House/pdf/2015-HEBH-4210.PDF

Did they pass with 3/4 support? If they didn't get 3/4 support, how will this affect the MMMA? Likewise, if they did get the required 3/4 how will it affect the MMMA?

It isn't law yet, the changes have to be accepted by the House, then it has to be signed by Snyder. 

it did not need 3/4s vote, as this is completely separate from the MMMA.  It doesn't affect us except that growers will be able to legally sell overages to dispensaries through a convoluted seed to sale tracking.  But it leaves us completely intact as our previous law.  BUT concentrates and edibles will now be LEGAL!

I am printing them off before I get too excited, but I am very happy about concentrates and edibles since I personally feel it is needed for cancer patients and people with serious issues. 

But don't move too fast, I would bet that once it is signed into law, LARA will say they need at least 6 months to figure out what the bills mean, and another couple months to implement the seed to sale tracking.

This story claims it passed 28-9. HB 4210 does amend the MMMA.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/senate_moves_to_clear_up_legal.html

Aren't there 38 senators?  If so, do they count the unvoted?  Or do they only count actual votes?  28 out of 38 is 73%, not 75%.  but if they only count the ones actually voted it would be 75.6%...  So maybe we are good to go.

I hope so, I have a couple really awesome recipes that I would love to start making again.

Hey Zap, since you seem to know about laws and such... They just updated the 4210 page (just as in I just noticed) to say:

returned from Senate with amendment(s) with immediate effect and full title

Do you know what that means?  I assume it isn't law yet until approved by the house and signed by the Gov...