Best Cage Free Outdoor Cannabis Season Ever.....again

About how far away from the plants can you still detect an odor? Let's say for a patch of 5 large ones.

Great question

There is a reason growers stroke the stalk and smell their fingers during veg.

There is a reason growers bury their nose in a bud during flower.

A static plant emits little to no smell

IMO it is the agitation of the plant by, wind, fan or touch that releases their fragrance.

In veg the leafs have little oils so the stalk is stroked

In flower trichs are everywhere, stems , leafs, bud.

When the wind or fan blows or the plant is brushed or touched the fragrance is released, more so during flower because there are exponentially more oils exposed.

So outdoor on a calm day you can walk right by a plant and not smell it at all, but if the wind blows or you brush up against it you will smell it for sure

Indoor grows always smell in flower because of the extensive use of fans.

In the drying room , when the plant is handled and hung to dry they are powerful strong but as they dry in static state the smell will diminish until it almost smells like hay or no smell at all, until you touch it or agitate the plant.

I have personally witnessed on security footage a Leo going into an outbuilding where A Lot of cannabis was drying and the Leo walked right out because he didn't see it Or smell it.

After drying the product is again handled and the fragrance released.

So to answer your question it depends. But indoor grows that move a lot of air will create a lot of "odor" during flower.

Outdoor depends on wind and touch and rain

Hope that helps

Edited by beourbud

About how far away from the plants can you still detect an odor? Let's say for a patch of 5 large ones.

I have an awesome indoor space, outside of my home. I'm able to control all of the cannabis odor within that space. I do not use the outdoor air, not that I forbid it from entering, I just dont vent in or out with it. This type of control is expensive and well worth the efforts for me.

The last time I grew outdoors............. I'm 300 feet off of the road, surrounded by 100 foot pine trees. I havent grown a strain that I cant detect at the end of the gated driveway>  in my greenhouse, in a kennel, no matter, a few weeks into flower and BAM!! I think greenthumbs iranian fast flower is a non stinky, there are others, but stinky is king mind you.

peace, good luck

I wont grow outdoors until both my neighbors do, or give me the go ahead, if they ever feel the urge. Neither knows what I do....at least thats what I rock myself to sleep with.

How is all this rain effecting the outdoor grows?

It's forcing outdoor growers to pick weeks early like most years resulting in low quality flowers that will not be worth much. It's just the way it is in Michigan, unless you are covered in a greenhouse you just can't run long enough to have a good end product. There are a few exceptions, I've known a few strains that will finish to maturation in mid/end Sept but these are very rare and even then they are not very good end product. 

I dont understand why outdoor ops dont cover the tops with a greenhouse film? It seems to me, that would solve a substantial amount of problems with weather. Ive seen videos of plenty of outdoor ops elsewhere doing this, and even more using a seperate film to induce flowering early to ensure a good finish. This would be the avenue i would take, especially in a climate like michigan.

Then again, who needs "Tree's " grown outdoors for medicinal needs, no logic in having 20 plus outdoor plants each producing multiple pounds other than profit, save for the cancer patient using rso, which ive seen no mention off here. Good luck, im not judging, free the weed.

Edited by pergamum362

It's forcing outdoor growers to pick weeks early like most years resulting in low quality flowers that will not be worth much. It's just the way it is in Michigan, unless you are covered in a greenhouse you just can't run long enough to have a good end product. There are a few exceptions, I've known a few strains that will finish to maturation in mid/end Sept but these are very rare and even then they are not very good end product. 

light deprivation techniques fix that for me when I brave the outdoor stink.

I can even have a pseudo perpetual harvest using them. tarp up, tarp down, no biggy. even automated I've seen

Very rare? Cmon

Oil is produced with the leftovers of indoor plants, even early outdoor produces more oil than those byproducts.

There is no difference in the oil produced from either

As a matter of fact many folk like to harvest indicas early to get Sativas like qualities.

All this hating on outdoor must be from folk who spent way to much to imitate the sun lol

I spent some years when I was young with people who only grew outdoors.

We turned it all into oil except some of the choicest buds for smoking.

I do recall that some years there weren't many 'choice' buds yet there

was always copious amounts of honey oil.  I helped w/ the oil making

as I was just too nervous in the field/ harvesting :o

I live in the city now and hear the choppers returning to the nat guard

post in the evenings.  Used to know a guy that rode in the helo as

their photographer.  We had some very interesting (heated!) conversations.

He smoked herb, so I was like wtf dude?  Saying "it's just my job" didn't

cut it for me lol.  Maybe I worked his conscience.. as he did quit that "job".

I spent some years when I was young with people who only grew outdoors.

We turned it all into oil except some of the choicest buds for smoking.

I do recall that some years there weren't many 'choice' buds yet there

was always copious amounts of honey oil. I helped w/ the oil making

as I was just too nervous in the field/ harvesting :o

I live in the city now and hear the choppers returning to the nat guard

post in the evenings. Used to know a guy that rode in the helo as

their photographer. We had some very interesting (heated!) conversations.

He smoked herb, so I was like wtf dude? Saying "it's just my job" didn't

cut it for me lol. Maybe I worked his conscience.. as he did quit that "job".

It's nice to hear from those who know rather than these newbies that think they know.

When I had my business I would hire 18-25 year olds because they required no training...They already know everything...sarc

Some of these folk could read an article about the Space Shuttle, then would have you believe they were rocket scientists.

Edited by beourbud

It's nice to hear from those who know rather than these newbies that think they know.

When I had my business I would hire 18-25 year olds because they required no training...They already know everything...sarc

Some of these folk could read an article about the Space Shuttle, then would have you believe they were rocket scientists.

Im so not against out door grow, it was the only way I could do it when I was younger!

I worry more about you getting messed with w/o a top, but if your ok with it so am I, It is your biz not mine!

Peace