Mini Split Vs Window Shaker

matt79

I never had a problem with condensation when running liquid cooled lights. Do you have any data that shows that the minimal loss of light intensity through 1/2" of water is NOT (by far) off-set by the ability to have the lights six inches above the plants? Double the distance of lights from plants and you reduce the light intensity by 4x.

As for the convenience factor, why do you think that running six inch to eight inch blowers is less convenient than having a 1/2" supply and return line? And water lines are quiet. Blowers make a lot of noise.

I'm speaking from experience. Are you?

I'm not sure why you are hating on liquid cooled lights when you have someone with actual and positive experience explaining why they are a good option.

Looking back at your posts, it looks like you didn't say anything about air cooled hoods. So my bad on that assumption.

But, after looking back through this thread, I think it's pretty funny that you think that 4 55-gallon barrels of water outside is complicated and space age. Seriously? Is my rain barrel a space station setup. It's all pretty simple.

I wish I didnt have to see accusations of caregivers  breaking the law when they describe their caregiver grow, costs, light fixtures or techniques.

Look, we are allowed to grow 72 plants with five patients and ourselves, thats it. anything less than that is legal. why accuse other patients and providers here?  its so cop like its frikken scary when I see it here, and I see it often here.

"you spent 3000 dollars on a ac unit? you must be a dispensary supplier"

"you're bills are 700 a month, you must be providing for more than your registered patients"

you have how many lights?  must be a drug dealer"

"they use how much herb?  you must be providing for the recreational users, not real patients"

" they take how much a month? they must be selling it off"

pfffttt, I guess I just didnt expect that to be such a common theme around here recently. It makes all of us look bad, but especially those doing the accusing imo

grow, and let grow already.

I wish I didnt have to see accusations of caregivers breaking the law when they describe their caregiver grow, costs, light fixtures or techniques.

Look, we are allowed to grow 72 plants with five patients and ourselves, thats it. anything less than that is legal. why accuse other patients and providers here? its so cop like its frikken scary when I see it here, and I see it often here.

"you spent 3000 dollars on a ac unit? you must be a dispensary supplier"

"you're bills are 700 a month, you must be providing for more than your registered patients"

you have how many lights? must be a drug dealer"

"they use how much herb? you must be providing for the recreational users, not real patients"

" they take how much a month? they must be selling it off"

pfffttt, I guess I just didnt expect that to be such a common theme around here recently. It makes all of us look bad, but especially those doing the accusing imo

grow, and let grow already.

Edited by Highlander

highlander. I'd like to know more about your water cooled lights. I just picked up a 1.5HP water chiller to run undercurrent and will have plenty of excess cooling capacity.

I'm happy to help. Shoot me a PM if you want. If I were you I'd try to avoid using a chiller. When I was running 9,000 watts liquid cooled with 200 gallons of water, the water temps ranged between about 80 to 120 degrees F. For about 8 months out of the year I didn't need to worry about cooling the water. During the summer, I'd skip the 200 gallons of water storage and run the water outdoors into a wading pool with a submerged coil of 3/4" PEX piping. I had a 3/4" sprinkler timer attached to a garden hose outlet that would pump water into the wading pool for a few hours during lights on. My dogs loved the pool.

I don't know if I posted about the disaster I had. I got lazy and didn't check the water level in my 55-gallon drums in the basement. Eventually they ran dry. I discovered this early one morning before catching a plane to Vegas. Several of the fixtures got too hot and shattered the inside glass sleeve and the bulbs. I had about 30 minutes to swap out the liquid cooled lights with my old air cooled hoods before I hit the road.

Since then, I've cut my grow way back. So I haven't had the need for liquid cooling. If/when I do it again, I'll probably use a big plastic tote in the basement for cooling must of the year and then bury a second tote outside to use during the warm months.

The biggest issue you might deal with is that your tubing to the fixtures will get warm easily and will bend and pinch itself off. So you want to use hard piping (like PEX) as much as possible and then use heat tolerant flexible tubing between each fixture.

It might sound complicated. Well, maybe not to you. It's actually pretty simple and nearly maintenance free. You can even use bleach mixed into the cooling reservoir to keep everything clean.