In Need Of A Caregiver

alphacat824

Wish you were closer,but all I can say is do your research and ask lots of questions. Write out a contract that is fair to the both of you

Contracts dont work for me things change and most caregivers will do whatever is needed without contractual terms we have a classifieds section here at the website give it a looksee maybe someone in your area is looking for a patient up there in the moonlight with you..

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/classifieds/

I do a contract with every patient I sign.  It's the best way really.  It isn't legally binding, and has a cancel clause for either party at any time. (with reasonable notice, like 10 days).  Basically it lays out what they can expect from me, and what I expect from them.  How to communicate, average quantity they want per month, etc. 

I have a full time job, and will not answer the phone or text between 7 am and 6 pm m-f.  When they do text, I may not respond immediately (say if I am out to dinner or something) but they can expect a return text within 24 hours.  I set a static price for my meds, so that is on there as well, and I put in that if there is a problem they need to contact me, and let me know if they foresee a heavy month or a light month coming up.  I put in there that I don't grow a specific plant for a patient, but rather grow a set of plants which helps all of them together. The contract for me is more about outlining communication than it is for legal reasons. 

Everyone operates how it works best for them, but contracts/caregiver agreements in my opinion are necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I do a contract with every patient I sign.  It's the best way really.  It isn't legally binding, and has a cancel clause for either party at any time. (with reasonable notice, like 10 days).  Basically it lays out what they can expect from me, and what I expect from them.  How to communicate, average quantity they want per month, etc. 

I have a full time job, and will not answer the phone or text between 7 am and 6 pm m-f.  When they do text, I may not respond immediately (say if I am out to dinner or something) but they can expect a return text within 24 hours.  I set a static price for my meds, so that is on there as well, and I put in that if there is a problem they need to contact me, and let me know if they foresee a heavy month or a light month coming up.  I put in there that I don't grow a specific plant for a patient, but rather grow a set of plants which helps all of them together. The contract for me is more about outlining communication than it is for legal reasons. 

Everyone operates how it works best for them, but contracts/caregiver agreements in my opinion are necessary.

i was going to say how not replying within 24 hours was such a long time.

but then i realized its a good idea to let patients know your timeframes. i see a couple people on here complain about how hard it is to contact their caregiver.

i think more patients and caregivers need to communicate better about when they will respond.

Yeah, the reply in 24 hours is a maximum.  If you text me and I don't respond while I am busy or at work, I don't want to come back to a phone with 90 texts asking "where's my delivery".  So I generally reply within a couple hours, but if they don't hear back in 24, that's when it is OK to text or call a few times.

Communication is paramount to a good PT/CG relationship.  I have a free PT that I let him know if I am going to be low and he'll have to take it easy until my harvest is ready for instance.  I let him know a month in advance so he can prepare.

But yes, communication is paramount, and I don't want to get 20 texts while in a movie just trying to enjoy time with my family.  Instead, its a "Expect a reply in 24 hours, otherwise please try to reach me again" sort of deal.

Havent' had too many complaints ever since I implemented the agreements.  It really is just an agreement, and I put right in it, either party can cancel at any time with notice, no consequences for either party.  I think I did put in a few days notice so as a CG, if it would put me over plant count that I could address that before it was technically cancelled.

I dont do contracts, i ask, an work with my patients to see what they expect from me. I return a call/text in mins.. to me its part an parcel to being a cg. You can't tell them to wait. Its medicine right.. I call text each patient a the time i figure there running low.( I keep anon records. I dont run out.. rule number one, keep there meds on hand. I dont work so it helps me to get out and see the world out there.. when we were discusing bad cg's most of my patients prior cg didnt have good contact, or respond in due time.. I hear that complaint and do better for them.. Most patients for me are long term. as in years.. 

I dont do contracts, i ask, an work with my patients to see what they expect from me. I return a call/text in mins.. to me its part an parcel to being a cg. You can't tell them to wait. Its medicine right.. I call text each patient a the time i figure there running low.( I keep anon records. I dont run out.. rule number one, keep there meds on hand. I dont work so it helps me to get out and see the world out there.. when we were discusing bad cg's most of my patients prior cg didnt have good contact, or respond in due time.. I hear that complaint and do better for them.. Most patients for me are long term. as in years.. 

Right On !

Exactly my patients know I also am a patient and wont give them anything not worthy also I have my phone clipped to my shirt 24/7 unless im sleeping so when they call or text im on my way to their place contracts can be tricky sometimes if there is a set price and you have crop failure  if you have to go outside your garden to a different caregiver theres no guarantees their price will be the same as what you have in your written contract.

Exactly my patients know I also am a patient and wont give them anything not worthy also I have my phone clipped to my shirt 24/7 unless im sleeping so when they call or text im on my way to their place contracts can be tricky sometimes if there is a set price and you have crop failure  if you have to go outside your garden to a different caregiver theres no guarantees their price will be the same as what you have in your written contract.

Well, some people work, and not all employers are OK with you taking a call from your "friends" while at work.  But I am at least above average as a CG, so it would be worse for my patients if I were not growing any more.  They would all tell you the same.

Yep, contracts can be tricky if you have failure, which is why my agreement outlines what happens if I am unable to provide.  Some, I take care of, if it costs more than they pay it's on me, I also have one that they cover the "cost" but I'll find and verify it is good, and I have one where we agreed that if I run out, he's on his own till I get more.  Price per oz is dictated by some of these decisions.

I've outlined here long ago why I prefer an agreement.  Verbals only work when you are dealing with rational sane people, and sometimes even 30 years of knowing someone isn't enough.  Verbals work until they don't work, and then if you don't have it written down, you regret it. 

There's an adage, good fences make good neighbors.  Similar to that, a good agreement makes for a good partnership.

Everything we need to know about each other is covered in our first interview via email.

By the time the first delivery is scheduled we're already registered, via email.

Menu's are emailed weekly/biweekly, meeting times and places and menu choices are pre arranged.

I like to confirm a meeting the day before in text. I never get a text asking for an "emergency delivery"

and require a one ounce min delivery (in interview).

I meet at a chosen spot and some are home delivered. I typically

assist seniors, and they are on the ball, no games, drama, no shows, schedule changes are rare.

I need to know what their needs are before I register them, for growing and maintaining.

I dont keep too much"on hand" smoke generally, but seem to always have just what we need. I plan/grow/harvest

what I know I'm going to deliver in the next week. My patients run a tight ship thankfully.

I've taken in younger guys/gals and had a different experience, I stick to elderly mostly, but still have 20 somethings in the waiting list.

I have met some super young people in the program in the last few years.

In reality, all these contracts are meaningless & unenforcable. In the end caregivers just have to hope their patients are reasonable & respectable and the same for patients the same of their caregivers.

I believe I said, and have tried to be clear, it isn't a contract.  It is an agreement.  Verbal Agreements are just that, verbal, and ones recollection of it can change over time, especially when dealing with people in intense pain.  Pain affects your memory.  As far as being meaningless, in a court of law, I agree.  But this isn't about court, it is about what's fair, and agreed upon by both parties.  Your opinion is they are meaningless, but anyone who has been burned by different recollections would likely say differently, the problem is, once it happens to you, you can't go back and make one.

My agreements state specifically that this isn't for a "court" appearance.  This isn't about enforcing, it is about being clear, and communicating, and making sure it doesn't "drift" over time based on some half memories 3 years prior (All of my PTs have been with me for multiple years).  That is also why it is able to be cancelled by either party at any time (giving the CG time enough to ensure proper plant count, etc). 

Wish you the best and I hope you never have problems.  But all it takes is one upset PT thinking that you aren't doing what you said (even if you never said it) to call the state boys on you and you may be shut down for a while.  With a simple piece of paper that says what you are going to do for them and what you will charge for it, they can't argue it.

hello everyone....I live near Escanaba MI... I suffer from PTSD and chronic pain. I have just gotten my card and need

to find an honest caregiver. If anyone can help me I greatly appreciate it.  Please send e-mail to sissylcato@yahoo.com

THANK U

I'm near you and have an available slot open for a patient. I sent you a pm.

?

Sorry was responding to Jjamh.  He was saying contracts are unenforceable and meaningless. 

Had a PT long ago that had some mental issues.  Threatened to call the state if I didn't give him 5 oz free, regardless that he was only legal for 2.5.  But in his mind I was screwing him over for having paid his utilities for 3 months, paid for his med card and Dr apt, fed him at least 4 times during the grow, gave him free MJ scraps while my harvest was coming in, but I was wrong if I wasn't giving him more than enough for him to sell as well as use himself all for free...

We parted ways.  My electricity isn't free, my time isn't free, so neither are my meds.  This was someone who had known my wife's family for over 40 years as well, so it wasn't just some stranger. 

I told him we agreed on x.. He said, No way, you said free...  Since it wasn't even written on a napkin, I had nothing to prove it either way.  I've used agreements ever since, and like I said, this isn't for court, this isn't about enforcement, this is about making sure everyone is sticking to what was agreed.

If a PT gets pissed cause I don't respond while I am at work, I can simply say, look at the agreement, let me know what it says.  Then they have the option to say, this isn't working for me I need 24/7/365 access to my CG (because we all know that your Dr and Pharmacist are there 24/7/365... wait they aren't),  and they can say I am finding someone else, or, Hey bud, sorry, I'll reach out after 6 PM.  Either way, there is no problem, just possible that they want to check for greener pastures, no hard feelings, no getting pissed off, it is clear, outlined, and indisputable.

Sorry was responding to Jjamh.  He was saying contracts are unenforceable and meaningless. 

Had a PT long ago that had some mental issues.  Threatened to call the state if I didn't give him 5 oz free, regardless that he was only legal for 2.5.  But in his mind I was screwing him over for having paid his utilities for 3 months, paid for his med card and Dr apt, fed him at least 4 times during the grow, gave him free MJ scraps while my harvest was coming in, but I was wrong if I wasn't giving him more than enough for him to sell as well as use himself all for free...

We parted ways.  My electricity isn't free, my time isn't free, so neither are my meds.  This was someone who had known my wife's family for over 40 years as well, so it wasn't just some stranger. 

I told him we agreed on x.. He said, No way, you said free...  Since it wasn't even written on a napkin, I had nothing to prove it either way.  I've used agreements ever since, and like I said, this isn't for court, this isn't about enforcement, this is about making sure everyone is sticking to what was agreed.

If a PT gets pissed cause I don't respond while I am at work, I can simply say, look at the agreement, let me know what it says.  Then they have the option to say, this isn't working for me I need 24/7/365 access to my CG (because we all know that your Dr and Pharmacist are there 24/7/365... wait they aren't),  and they can say I am finding someone else, or, Hey bud, sorry, I'll reach out after 6 PM.  Either way, there is no problem, just possible that they want to check for greener pastures, no hard feelings, no getting pissed off, it is clear, outlined, and indisputable.

I was wondering about the state boys being used to enforce cg/patient agreements. I believe they would laugh in the face of a patient today who complained that they did not get their supply for free as promised.

I was wondering about the state boys being used to enforce cg/patient agreements. I believe they would laugh in the face of a patient today who complained that they did not get their supply for free as promised.

Of course they would and that patient would no doubt be blacklisted by his former caregiver for exposing his status as a caregiver not to mention the stupidity of exposing ones self by bringing  up  such a thing that should be kept between the two partys.