Michigan Medical Mj Industry To Oppose Milegalize

semicaregiver

First let me say I am not infavor of the headline, but rather I thought it might be an interesting topic to speculate about and discuss.  

As I read all the renewed enthusiasm of the MiLegalize group for a 2018 ballot effort, it occurs to me that their biggest opposition might not be prohibitionists and law enforcement, but the Medical MJ industry that 4209 and 4210 is creating.   Judging by all I am hearing and reading on different listserves and forums, the commercial grow operators, labs, transporters and provisioning centers will have invested millions of dollars by the beginning of 2018.  If the MiLegalize proposal were to pass it would create a recreational market/industry that would be outside of 4209/10's onerous restrictions.   The new MILegalize market would be cheaper and easier for anyone medical or recreational to obtain cannabis.  It would destroy the investment of the folks that chose to participate in the industry created by 4209/10.

Sounded to me that milegalize was going to head back to the drawing board, and try to figure out how they would move forward. Not knowing anything about what that will look like, makes guessing at 2018 difficult.

Anyway, the powers that be made something pretty clear... They are in charge. After putting in a brand new system of regulated manufacture and distribution, it will be tough to get the general population to vote for a rollback. If anything, the new game can simply say, 'give us a couple of years to iron out the wrinkles, and we will have a better regulated, taxed, and safe system in place to do a better job than some hacked together plan these milegalize people hapzardly scrapped together. Just give us a couple of years, and it will be beautiful.' Not saying any of those words are real and true, but they will get said, and the point will likely stick w the average voter. And after another couple of years, we will be so invested, going back at all wont be a viable option. It will be a super tough, uphill battle at least, harder than they had it this year for sure.

Based on past reality, milegalize probably wont go any further. Hate to be a bummer on this, but i have little hope for it. We've been committed to the commercial model of limited participation.

I think it is a real possibility 4209 and the other bills are laying the framework for recreational, so MI legalize may not be needed.

I think the MI legalize would be the way to go, but they may not get a chance to wait until 2018.  As far as the business goes, you have a market for 186,000 people possible, and if they legalize recreational that jumps to 7 million.  Larger market in retail is always a plus.  So I would think they would welcome legalization with open arms.

The legislature will not be legalizing marijuana.

It has to happen via initiative and ballot.

And yes they have layed the groundwork  and will likely amend any legalization initiative to comport closer to the commercialization bill they just passed.

I am sure the commercial businesses want legalization . ut they will probably have money tied up the next couple years with medical dispensary outlays thus leaving less cash for an initiative donation.

But I suspect there is other group(s) with their eyes on 2018 and we will likely have something  to vote for in 2018.

Mal, I agree.    

When I posted the question I had just read some of MiLegalize's latest posts that seem to suggest that their ballot proposal will put the genie back in the bottle via recreational legalization.   If that is the direction that they take,  it seemed like their greatest foe will be the folks that just spent millions to conform to 4209/10.   

People in the legislation have come right out and said this will be the regulatory framework for recreational.

Correct!   That was my key point.   The folks who are investing in being a part of the new Michigan Medical Marijuana Industry will be investing 10's of millions with the expectation that they have an ongoing business plus they will be able to expand to recreational at some point.

The MiLegalize position seems to be a cottage industry business model with regulatory involvement and taxes held to a minimum.  While I believe that is what we all prefer and want, the gorilla in the room will be the new industry that sees their investment going down the drain.   

Anyway, just some food for thought.  I will get a big bag of popcorn and see how the next 18 months play out.

Correct!   That was my key point.   The folks who are investing in being a part of the new Michigan Medical Marijuana Industry will be investing 10's of millions with the expectation that they have an ongoing business plus they will be able to expand to recreational at some point.

The MiLegalize position seems to be a cottage industry business model with regulatory involvement and taxes held to a minimum.  While I believe that is what we all prefer and want, the gorilla in the room will be the new industry that sees their investment going down the drain.   

Anyway, just some food for thought.  I will get a big bag of popcorn and see how the next 18 months play out.

:thumbsu:

:drinking-coffee:

In legal states, businesses that were previously 'medical only' suddenly had their customer base

increase dramatically, and having an established foothold only favored them versus their competition.

N. Cali. had a mini-boom when they loosened the laws allowing many more medical dispensaries

to open.  Caregivers were worried.  But anyone who consumed in bulk, would generally find a caregiver,

and dispensaries were everywhere for patients who don't use that much or need some special strain

or concentrate.  Caregivers found nothing but increased demand, and sales at existing dispensaries

and their suppliers boomed.

Many western states allow medical growers to grow larger amounts, sell to dispensaries, and

produce concentrates.  Santa Cruz county allowed you to possess 3 lbs per patient.  In N. Cali.

I found Dispensaries and Caregivers to be very symbiotic, and I expect both will benefit from 

legalization there.

My understanding is that legalization in WA and CO has not hurt the caregivers in those states

either, but I don't know from personal experience.

Edited by iwombat