Anyone Running Undercurrent System?

garyfisher

I know right?

I don't recall anyone ever claiming pristine bud, cept tricycle.

I dont recall ever even using the word "pristine". And actually, you are the only one using it in this thread fyi.

I think growing bud without mold is far from "pristine", but you would be the expert on that I propose. I dont see mold in my indoor grow, because I've spent the money and taken the precautions to avoid any flora issues.

You see I can successfully control my atmospheric conditions and put each parameter exactly where they are needed in order to produce the very best product that I am able to. Its worth it to me, to go the extra mile spend the money and guarantee fresh harvested mold  free medicine to my few patients. have seen alot of mold outdoors recently though in my garden tear down left over area.

go to work, prove it right here if you can. you can post the quote here easily, we'll address your accusations then. :)

you'll find though, the only cannabis related product I would propose is close to "pristine" would be any of my surviving tissue culture samples. if they were not pristine they would not be alive.

beourbud-LOSING

I run a scaled down system..always referred to it as a RDWC but its the same to me..only difference is that i only use one inch lines, not them big donkey ones, and i use a different nutrient system, not organic, house and garden, but each pot is aerated and the water is constantly circulating.. i do wish i had used larger lines to connect my pots..however its the fastest growing, and heaviest harvest I ever got indoors.. IF 2" in pvc lines are a prerequisite. then can't help ya :)

You don't have to have those big lines. Just a steady flow through 1/2" works good as long as you are using a pump. I like a good RV 12 volt pump. One to pump for circulation. One for evacuation. One for filling. 

Resto I'd appreciate some feedback because I know you've figured out aero. I've been running RDWC for about six years. Recently I had a huge batch of successful clones in my aero cloner. I didn't have enough room in my buckets to move all of them to the RDWC system so I left a few in the cloner and added full-strength nutes. I was astonished how quickly the plants in the cloner grew - about twice as fast as those I moved to the DWC buckets. I don't know why I never considered aero before. But now I'm sold on it and want to gradually convert my DWC to aero.

Like you, I've figured out how to keep my hydro solution fairly stable. I've learned how to account for pH and ppm swings and mix a 55-gallon barrel to slowly drip into the system to keep everything within range for a week or two.

My questions:

What kind of pump do you use and what mister heads? I'm looking at equipment designed for misting reptiles.

How do you keep the misters from getting clogged?

Assuming each bucket will have about 3" of standing water, so you need an air stone?

I think some of it was about you. lol

What? Am I he who's name should not be spoken?

Am I a Medussa like demon with mesmerizing trichomes protruding from my head , a monster that turns mortals into stoned pillars of wax if you look directly into my eyes?

Edited by beourbud

Lol, A swing and a miss.

Dangerous? Lol

Hey I feel neglected, what about me?

Sounds more like You been there but just couldn't make it work.

Sometimes you gotta think outside of the box, er Grow Room

Bob... Here's the deal, i like u, i like where u r at, i like the way u think, i wish u the very best in where u r trying to go. Reason for all of that, because yes u r correct in that we disagree on some things, is that intentions become very clear, over time, in a person's posts. And i believe u have good intentions, and r a decent person to boot. I have no beef w u, although we might disagree on some things. U r not a bad person imo, even perhaps one of the good ones. Time will tell, as we are all mostly a product of our circumstances. What time will bring u...? Who can possibly say, but u r starting from a good place, imo. And that makes u a world apart from resto. And why i have to inclination to involve you at all, not in something like this. Cool?

Maybe you could tell me where I became so dangerous here? I only posted these three lines and you went totally ranty on me. Bad day or what?

Take highlander for example, or gary... Were they to take ur advice, take what u suggest as being accurate and true.., they will find themselves in desperate situation, after investing great time, money, and efforts, all by themselves in a big ole mess. U will have anandoned them and tossed it up to their not following instructions, messing something up, or accusing them of being incompetent... The whole time u just didnt know chit about what u were representing. There will be real consequence and harm to others because of your fronting, and posing, and feeding ur ego. U r a potential harm to others. Period.

One very real concern anyone thinking about doing a water culture of any sort, including an aero especially... Please understand that anyone that suggest that 'it is easy' or can be left alone for 2 WEEKS unattended and without maintenance... Well, that is the exact opposite of true. Then ask why they would suggest this, what type of person does so? Especially when this has been proven time and time again, by many a competent grower to be untrue. This is the highest maintenance type of grow imaginable.

And guess what? I did it, and did it well. The reason i absolutely dumped the idea is because of what is required, and the risk that is inherent in such a process. And because there are much easier ways to accomplish the same or even better results, with much less risk. Simple as pie, and anyone w real experience in the varying grow styles, knows this to be true. Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesnt know, or is misrepresenting, or is straight taking secret pleasure in trying to screw w u.

Look, for any of u wanting to do for yourself... I respect that tremendously. I did it, so now i know. U do it, then u will know. But dont take some half assed idea that it is easy and simple as true. It simply is not. Reaearch the heck out of it. Assume every possible problem as one that will happen. Have a preventative strategy in place, have backup plans for when they will eventually come up. Have backup gear because how quickly u respond will be just as important as how u respond. Go into the task as well prepared as u can, and understand it will require more time and attention than any other style of growing. Give yourself the best possible chance for success.

And be very careful of whom u listen to.

I leave it at that.

Hey.  I love to hate resto sometimes but I can get along with im as well.  Get the hell off my thread about hydro gardens.  We're trying to grow medicine here.  Not bicker about stupid stuff.  

My last year greenhouse had ZERO PM in the garden.  I had some botrytis from a couple spots where there was a drip from the ceiling (my fault)

Its not hard to grow excellent medicine outside within a greenhouse as long as you know what you are doing.  I still have some blue dream.  Want to examine the buds with a loupe?  It's fracking excellent medicine!

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what set him off like that. Everything I said was 100% from experience, my own personal experience. I went away for two weeks in the spring and 2 weeks in the fall. Both times my aero undercurrect grow, and my dirt grows, did fantastic. Many people do this. It's not that hard to do. I had some mold on my lower branches of my outdoor this year. I run a mold resistant strain outdoors. The colas were great. Huge heavy colas! I could knock you out with one. lol It's all good. When they are so massive like that they are easier to trim out. I bet a mass spec would find some mold on the outdoor. It's everywhere. You could do a mass spec analysis on your hair and find mold. I wouldn't give my outdoor to someone who was seriously ill. I would just give them the indoor. 

I invented a pump and timer set up to water my dirt grows when I'm gone.

I use a fill level valve to top off my aero grows. The PH will go from 6.5 down to 5.5 in two weeks. Normally I change out the solution in one week but two weeks once in a while is ok. 

I really like to help people. I love to give advice and would feel terrible if I gave someone bad advice. All my advice comes from things I have done many times. If someone is a beginner I give them advice for beginners. 

I have a background in chemistry, I took a couple years of college chemistry. Then I worked in the auto industry until I retired. I went to night school while I was working at the shop to advance in that field. So I have a lot of hands on experience and a lot of book experience too. I like to share. I know it sounds like bragging sometimes. I apologize for that. 

Hey.  I love to hate resto sometimes but I can get along with im as well.  Get the hell off my thread about hydro gardens.  We're trying to grow medicine here.  Not bicker about stupid stuff.  

My last year greenhouse had ZERO PM in the garden.  I had some botrytis from a couple spots where there was a drip from the ceiling (my fault)

Its not hard to grow excellent medicine outside within a greenhouse as long as you know what you are doing.  I still have some blue dream.  Want to examine the buds with a loupe?  It's fracking excellent medicine!

As you see here I have buried the hatchet. Hope your ideas work out. 

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what set him off like that. Everything I said was 100% from experience, my own personal experience. I went away for two weeks in the spring and 2 weeks in the fall. Both times my aero undercurrect grow, and my dirt grows, did fantastic. Many people do this. It's not that hard to do. I had some mold on my lower branches of my outdoor this year. I run a mold resistant strain outdoors. The colas were great. Huge heavy colas! I could knock you out with one. lol It's all good. When they are so massive like that they are easier to trim out. I bet a mass spec would find some mold on the outdoor. It's everywhere. You could do a mass spec analysis on your hair and find mold. I wouldn't give my outdoor to someone who was seriously ill. I would just give them the indoor.

I invented a pump and timer set up to water my dirt grows when I'm gone.

I use a fill level valve to top off my aero grows. The PH will go from 6.5 down to 5.5 in two weeks. Normally I change out the solution in one week but two weeks once in a while is ok.

I really like to help people. I love to give advice and would feel terrible if I gave someone bad advice. All my advice comes from things I have done many times. If someone is a beginner I give them advice for beginners.

I have a background in chemistry, I took a couple years of college chemistry. Then I worked in the auto industry until I retired. I went to night school while I was working at the shop to advance in that field. So I have a lot of hands on experience and a lot of book experience too. I like to share. I know it sounds like bragging sometimes. I apologize for that.

I'm not surprised you can figure out how to keep your nute solution in good shape for two weeks. Once you've run a few grows (my own experience has been in DWC) you find out that variations in pH and ppm are predictable based on stage of growth, temperature etc. So you do your initial mix and then have a pre-mixed reservoir with a float valve to keep the system topped off. You'd have to be a lucky genius to plan it out so that the pH and ppms are completely stable, but the plants don't need that. I once left my DWC for two weeks and the only problem I had was that some plants grew up into the lights and fried the tops. I routinely leave my DWC unattended for 4-5 days at a time when I take short vacations, work out of town, or simply don't have the energy and ambition to check on it. I find that high pH isn't much of a problem and low ppm isn't much of a problem (in the short term). So when I plan for a few days off, I mix the nute solution around 700 ppm and pH to about 5.3 then use plain well water in a reservoir on a float valve to keep the system topped off. Worst case scenario is that the pH might get into the high 6s and ppms drop to around 400. No problem there.

I've tried lots of grow styles, dirt and various versions of hydro. I have found DWC to be the easiest (after the learning curve). This because you can easily recover from any feeding/pH error; just drain and re-fill. I think of growing DWC like following a recipe to make cookies. Follow the guidelines and it works every time. I have a lot of respect for dirt growers. They are like the smart grandma who can bake the best cookies ever without following a recipe.

I found dirt growing to be complicated. I've killed more plants in dirt than any other growing method and I haven't grown in dirt very much. I forget to water or maybe overwater and always second guess feeding schedules and Flushing. Dirt is unforgiving.

DWC is actually pretty simple. Keep pH and ppms in range (buy a meter that continuously reads). Keep nute solution temps in range (probably requires a chiller) add some enzymes for good measure, and keep those airstones producing. That's about it. The one real drawback is power outages so you can't aerate the roots. I've had a few power outages that lasted a couple of days. At those times I just used a $90 900 watt generator from Harbor Freight to run the air pumps. Cost about $5/day in gas. I left the lights off. No issues.

Highlander wrote:" I found dirt growing to be complicated. I've killed more plants in dirt than any other growing method and I haven't grown in dirt very much. I forget to water or maybe overwater and always second guess feeding schedules and Flushing. Dirt is unforgiving. "

Whaaaat?

This goes to show there are several ways to grow and myriad factors that profoundly impact the outcome.

The most single important component in a successful operation is the Growers experience.

I have to vehemently disagree with the notion dirt grows are complicated or not forgiving, but that's my bias based on decades in the dirt.

No two grows/growers are the same.

Indigro you have much to bring to the table, pull up a chair and share.

Highlander wrote:" I found dirt growing to be complicated. I've killed more plants in dirt than any other growing method and I haven't grown in dirt very much. I forget to water or maybe overwater and always second guess feeding schedules and Flushing. Dirt is unforgiving. "

Whaaaat?

This goes to show there are several ways to grow and myriad factors that profoundly impact the outcome.

The most single important component in a successful operation is the Growers experience.

I have to vehemently disagree with the notion dirt grows are complicated or not forgiving, but that's my bias based on decades in the dirt.

No two grows/growers are the same.

Indigro you have much to bring to the table, pull up a chair and share.

Ha! Yeah, growing in dirt isn't easy...and not forgiving...for me. Last year I bought into the octopot hype. I bought 10 octopots. I thought that the ez watering system would be my savior to grow in dirt. It didn't work....for me.. I hate the octopots deep into my soul. They completely failed me, or maybe I completely failed. (Probably the latter). I'm about ready to put the octopots in the recycling bin. I seem to have two brown thumbs and two left feet when it comes to dirt. But I've been very successful in hydro over the years. As you said, no two growers are the same.

Ha! Yeah, growing in dirt isn't easy...and not forgiving...for me. Last year I bought into the octopot hype. I bought 10 octopots. I thought that the ez watering system would be my savior to grow in dirt. It didn't work....for me.. I hate the octopots deep into my soul. They completely failed me, or maybe I completely failed. (Probably the latter). I'm about ready to put the octopots in the recycling bin. I seem to have two brown thumbs and two left feet when it comes to dirt. But I've been very successful in hydro over the years. As you said, no two growers are the same.

Dirt is simple. SCREW OCTOPOTS

The Octopots , like so many other gimmicks are sold by folk who don't know and don't care, they just want your money.

Just remember those who pushed these crap products on patients trying to grow their own meds,

I have grown just about every way you can, Water culture opps are to sensitive and complicated for the novice grower.

I agree with indigo and would add many newbies will be frustrated chasing their tails trying to dial it in.

I could leave my indoor opps for 3-4 days tops. Truth is I felt it necessary to check it everyday just to stay ahead of any issues.

It too easy to loose a whole crop.

$.02

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have all of the parts :money:  and am assembling today.  Cutting 3" PVC with a hacksaw is FUN!  WAHOO   :rolleyes:

I want to see pictures,, and how well it deals with leaks, cause you know its gonna happen in the beginning LOL.. good luck it works super good even with smaller lines..

Dirt is simple. SCREW OCTOPOTS

The Octopots , like so many other gimmicks are sold by folk who don't know and don't care, they just want your money.

Just remember those who pushed these crap products on patients trying to grow their own meds,

I have grown just about every way you can, Water culture opps are to sensitive and complicated for the novice grower.

I agree with indigo and would add many newbies will be frustrated chasing their tails trying to dial it in.

I could leave my indoor opps for 3-4 days tops. Truth is I felt it necessary to check it everyday just to stay ahead of any issues.

It too easy to loose a whole crop.

$.02

recall these devices are not an answer to growing better cannabis, they wont carry around dirt for you, or grow faster cannabis, heavier cannabis, or substitute for poor room controls, poor gardening habits, poor feeding schedules, or flint water.

what they in fact are....tools that effectively water from the bottom, do not report root rot, can be fed within the substrate or using the bottom feeding reservoir, with either organic or chem fertilizers. They allow me personally to walk away for near a week without turning on the water in my grow room with zero fear of leaks or dry outs or over watering, all without electricity. They do not rely on dirt to function, I've grown in pure perlite, rocks, styrofoam blocks,  sand, and decided on promix fits my garden habits swell. They wont teach someone how to grow in new substrate either. I dont think they would work well outdoors or in a greenhouse with cannabis(imo) but they are my final answer in my indoor grow room.