Med. Marijuana Licensing Board...full Employment For X Politicians

semicaregiver

I had a conversation today with a friend who felt he might be well qualified to be one of the five commissioners that the new program will have.  

He is retired and envisioned a job where they met perhaps once a month, got paid a small expense fee and perhaps a few free dinners.   At the start of the conversation neither of us really knew the specifics of the appointment process, but with the help of google, a copy of 4209 and the legislative fiscal analysis we came away with an interesting conclusion....this is an opportunity for retired/term limited state reps and senators to score a 100k per year job complete with benefits and a retirement program.

As everyone is pretty much aware, the new commission is modeled after the Michigan Liquor Control Commission.  In fact the number of commissioners and appointment process is the same.  They are selected by the heads of the State Senate and State House and then approved by the Snyder.  Given the similarity I suggested that he might want to look at what sort of resumes the MLCC commissioners had to make them qualified to oversee the liquor industry.  Low and behold, 4 of the 5 are ex state reps and senators.    Salaries were not spelled out for the marijuana commissioners, but the MLCC folks are getting in the 100K range.

Perhaps we have not seen the last of Jones.  Or, maybe Randy Richardville is in need of a job.

I don't think anyone knows at this point what direction it will go.   Just made what we thought were educated guesses based on the fiscal analysis that they published with the bills (13 million for staffing) and the similarities of the marijuana commission to the liquor commission.  

My friend is going to write to Mekoff and Cotter just to see what sort of response he gets.

Turns out the Commissioners are not full-time and get paid only a minor fee and expenses for attending meetings.   Guess there will not be any politicians looking for these five jobs.

Thank you for the update!

Your a great assett to our site!

Im so glad you followed thru and found out the truth.....we need more people like you on the boards!

Peace

Jim

Thank you for the update!

Your a great assett to our site!

Im so glad you followed thru and found out the truth.....we need more people like you on the boards!

Peace

Jim

Im out of likes! lol

why cant we give unlimited likes?

It would probably keep people like me from posting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bawahahahahahahahaha!

zap dont you think that would be better lol!

Peace