Mechanical Vs. Hand Trimming.

Highlander

About a year ago I put up a post after buying and using a Spin Pro trimmer. I had a lot of plants to trim in a short period of time, and the spin pro made quick work of it. This usually isn't an issue for me because I run a perpetual harvest but at that time I saw a back-log of trimming so decided to try the bowl trimmer. I got lots of admonishing replies from members here. Oh well. The trimmer sat in the closet for nearly a year before I decided to use it again. Recently, I had six plants to trim. So I decided to do an experiment. When I hand trim, I wear nitrile gloves and collect the gooey goodness afterwards. In this experiment, I hand-trimmed three plants manually wearing my gloves and was able to collect 1.2 grams of stickey Gooeyness. I ran the other three plants through the spin trimmer and collected about 1.8 grams of stickeyness from inside the bowl.

So for those of you who railed against me for using a spin pro, what, exactly is the problem? It's not as if I'm tumbling frozen buds to knock-off the trichomes and selling the buds to a dispensary and then selling the hash. All of my product goes to my patients...."finger hash," "scraped trim bowl hash." And dried buds. It all goes to a patient in one form or another. So why is a mechanical trimmer such a bad thing?

If it works for you, it's not a bad thing. If it doesn't work for someone else, it still works for you, right? It's still a good thing regardless of what others say or do. Sorry that we all rallied against ya! :)

I'll tell you why I dont use them, but I won't say that bowl or other trimmers are bad. Personally, it's a nook and cranny thing for me. I can get in and get more stem and leaf material out. They also look a little nicer from hand trim imo.

Wet

About a year ago I put up a post after buying and using a Spin Pro trimmer. I had a lot of plants to trim in a short period of time, and the spin pro made quick work of it. This usually isn't an issue for me because I run a perpetual harvest but at that time I saw a back-log of trimming so decided to try the bowl trimmer. I got lots of admonishing replies from members here. Oh well. The trimmer sat in the closet for nearly a year before I decided to use it again. Recently, I had six plants to trim. So I decided to do an experiment. When I hand trim, I wear nitrile gloves and collect the gooey goodness afterwards. In this experiment, I hand-trimmed three plants manually wearing my gloves and was able to collect 1.2 grams of stickey Gooeyness. I ran the other three plants through the spin trimmer and collected about 1.8 grams of stickeyness from inside the bowl.

So for those of you who railed against me for using a spin pro, what, exactly is the problem? It's not as if I'm tumbling frozen buds to knock-off the trichomes and selling the buds to a dispensary and then selling the hash. All of my product goes to my patients...."finger hash," "scraped trim bowl hash." And dried buds. It all goes to a patient in one form or another. So why is a mechanical trimmer such a bad thing?

I try to handle the buds the very least as possible to get an excellent trim. Cut the tiny leaves down close to the stem in the bud. You have to eyeball it and look down in there to get the perfect snip. So a machine that has no eye and just slices off the outside edges of the bud, and roughly handles the bud, seems bad to me. 

I try to handle the buds the very least as possible to get an excellent trim. Cut the tiny leaves down close to the stem in the bud. You have to eyeball it and look down in there to get the perfect snip. So a machine that has no eye and just slices off the outside edges of the bud, and roughly handles the bud, seems bad to me.

Agreed. A nicely trimmed bud is one of life's pleasures. And no machine will ever be able to snip a leaf off down to the stem. Thanks to Michigan's recovering economy, I'm in a situation where I can work as many hours in a week as I can stand. So it becomes hard to put the time into caregiving. Trimming is by far the most time-intensive part of caregiving for me. I'm now offering partially-trimmed buds (stems and fan leaves removed but no sugar leaves) to patients for a very good rate, and they can trim however they like. Using my volcano, I don't care if there is a lot of leaf mixed in.

If you grow it well, the leaf tastes and works well also. I've never understood why some obsess so much over trimming, actually.

For me it's the chemistry and patient needs. Since I've been making oil and studying extract I realized there's a lot of fats and waxes in the leaves. So I subtract them whenever possible for vaping and smoking. Definitely not necessary because you still get everything good if you smoke some leaves too. It's just that some of my patients have asthma and the fats and waxes irritate the lungs a little more than not having them. Winterizing extract taught me this. 

who came up with the idea of trimming sugar leaves anyway?

or perhaps it was a way for sellers to scrape off the top before selling to their customers. Imi talks about her keifed experiences with several dispensary provisions. Lets not forget this extra trimming is always for sale at the other end of the counter as pre rolls, keif, etc.  More Money, this trim show these types of unscrupulous individuals that more money can be had from a single bud, more than what it was worth before it was trimmed. Kiefed, blasted, tumbled...its about the money for many.

If a trim machine is found to leave these bits intact, and patients like the trim job as is, its a matter of patient preference is all, no good no bad, just preferences.

Caregivers have alot of tedious manual labor to contend with and if I found a trimmer did a job like I do I'd consider it. My rabbits get my trimmings but when oil is once again legal to possess I'll have to cut them off

some of my patients want their buds to look this way but most of mine have asked for a light trim, with hairs and some sugar leaves left intact. I dont spread open buds to look inside for more to trim, and they like that.  For photos though I like the look of a neat trim :wub:

or perhaps it was a way for sellers to scrape off the top before selling to their customers. Imi talks about her keifed experiences with several dispensary provisions. Lets not forget this extra trimming is always for sale at the other end of the counter as pre rolls, keif, etc.  More Money, this trim show these types of unscrupulous individuals that more money can be had from a single bud, more than what it was worth before it was trimmed. Kiefed, blasted, tumbled...its about the money for many.

If a trim machine is found to leave these bits intact, and patients like the trim job as is, its a matter of patient preference is all, no good no bad, just preferences.

Caregivers have alot of tedious manual labor to contend with and if I found a trimmer did a job like I do I'd consider it. My rabbits get my trimmings but when oil is once again legal to possess I'll have to cut them off

some of my patients want their buds to look this way but most of mine have asked for a light trim, with hairs and some sugar leaves left intact. I dont spread open buds to look inside for more to trim, and they like that.  For photos though I like the look of a neat trim :wub:

No, it's not for sale. That's really ridiculous, even for you Tri.  It's about the quality of the end product for those who have found they like it that way. 

No, it's not for sale. That's really ridiculous, even for you Tri.  It's about the quality of the end product for those who have found they like it that way. 

BS Resto, I saw it first hand for sale at the counter man, you are mistaken. they roll like that, right into pre rolls, ask picbook , he knows.

Keif is for sale all day at the best of dispensaries too, where you been, time to get out once in awhile little buddy.

Edited by trichcycler

No, it's not for sale. That's really ridiculous, even for you Tri. It's about the quality of the end product for those who have found they like it that way.

Grass is correct I visit disp. All the time and the prerolls are nothing like the flower which leads me to believe they do put sugar leafs in them. And they always have Kief of some of the flower they have.

BS Resto, I saw it first hand for sale at the counter man, you are mistaken. they roll like that, right into pre rolls, ask picbook , he knows.

Keif is for sale all day at the best of dispensaries too, where you been, time to get out once in awhile little buddy.

Dispensaries are all full of sucky things and acts. I'm not a dispensary and I distance myself from that action. It's as different as a fresh Michigan apple and a rotten banana someone stepped on. We already know they are sucky. 

I don't hang around rapists or pedophiles either. I know they are out there but they are not a good example of how normal folks are. 

Dispensaries are all full of sucky things and acts. I'm not a dispensary and I distance myself from that action. It's as different as a fresh Michigan apple and a rotten banana someone stepped on. We already know they are sucky. 

I don't hang around rapists or pedophiles either. I know they are out there but they are not a good example of how normal folks are. 

why would you post if the scenarios doesnt fit your situation, if you dont even know what you're talking about?  sorry truth offends you resto, even if you yourself cannot grasp it, truth still exists all around us. open you reyes, stop being so obtuse and feel the truth around you. Stop accusing others of lying only to admit you know nothing of the truths. ask others who know more than you, they will share experiences, albeit different than yours perhaps. we're a big community with many differing experiences, learn to respect those and you'll fare better in life.

I said specifically "for sale at the other end of the counter"

Comparing dispensary provisioning centers to rapists and pedophiles is deplorable. The law is legalizing there centers, accept the facts. sorry you dont like them, but dispensaries dont likely cater to pedophiles and rapists any more than caregivers or rite aid  do.

you've been chocked into the basket of deplorable s for that nasty post.

Comparing dispensary provisioning centers to rapists and pedophiles is deplorable. The law is legalizing there centers, accept the facts. sorry you dont like them, but dispensaries dont likely cater to pedophiles and rapists any more than caregivers or rite aid  do.

you've been chocked into the basket of deplorable s for that nasty post.

You are the one who described, at length, how terrible they are. Just to argue against my point. You are flip flopping all over the place just to argue. 

I really "hate" trimming My needs are too small to consider some of the commercial trimmers.  A couple of years ago I purchased a spin pro.  While I found it worked well, the real bitchy part of trimming was dealing with smaller buds that fall thru the spin pro grid.    A little over a year ago I bought the Wander hand held trimmer, https://www.eztrimming.com/product/wander-trimmer .   I paid about $1,000 from a shop in Lansing.   Yes, I know the price is outrageous, but it probably saves me 100-200 hours of tedious trimming per year.   It seems like a no brainer to consider the the $1,000 vs the savings in manhours.

The unit is definitely a commercial grade piece.  Their parts pricing, like their purchase price are all too high, but they made the unit mostly from existing industrial products.  For example the drive unit is a industrial flexible shaft die grinder unit.  You can get parts from the OEM for 1/3 of the EZTrimmer price.  The tool/handpiece seems to be custom designed, but has only two parts that have the potential to wear out.  First are two sealed bearings.  EZTrim sells them for $20 each, but are available online from bearing supply houses for $2.  The only proprietary wear part that one might have to buy in the future would be the cutter blade.

EZtrim's claims of 60-70% time savings are pure hype.  I would guess the number is more like 25%.  

It is and I have seen this personally in the local shops I have visited recently.  I have decided to visit as many local shops as I can with my loupe and scope their buds. This last month I have visited 10 shops in my fact finding mission.  I scope a minimum of 3 strains and my avg.is 5 strains at each shop.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that these buds are blasted then dried (yes, there are reports of this exact thing happening in the D) or simply tumbled.  There are no trichomes on the outside of the buds and the buds are too smooth.

I purchase nothing while doing recon but have received freebies as a 1st. time customer, in the form of free pre rolls or grams.

Grams were tumble weed and the doobies produced no resin on the paper and had very little effect as medicine.

I cannot say for certainty that the kief sold at these shops that I have visited is from the buds for sale but connecting those dots

isn't too difficult. 

I hate having my name on their dam lists but I feel it is of the utmost importance to get the word out about how these shops

are ripping off patients. 

It is a buyer beware market unfortunately and I suggest to anyone using shops to purchase their medicine to take your loupe

and scope the buds.

Knowledge is indeed power.

I meant that I don't sell it. Ever since I heard the recording of the dispensary owner saying to put the chemical stinking marijuana in the edibles I wouldn't be surprised about anything to do with dispensary products. Some are predators. Others are just lazy. Either way, I try to distance myself from them. I've already figured out that I could be very rich and still have to grow my own cannabis. There will be no end to it... ever. 

I have had hand trimmed medicine and machine trimmed medicine and prefer hand trimmed.

I have had lightly trimmed hand trimmed also where I just trim it to my preference.

I have also had hand trimmed that had only the larger fans removed and I trimmed it to my

preference and used the sugar leaves for qwiso.

It comes down to preference imho.

I meant that I don't sell it. Ever since I heard the recording of the dispensary owner saying to put the chemical stinking marijuana in the edibles I wouldn't be surprised about anything to do with dispensary products. Some are predators. Others are just lazy. Either way, I try to distance myself from them. I've already figured out that I could be very rich and still have to grow my own cannabis. There will be no end to it... ever. 

+1

I am reading reports of shops in the D actually selling blasted buds.  I am now wondering if that is what I am seeing here in Lansing too?

I do not blast so I have no clue what buds look like afterwards, I imagine they are trichomeless yet I am curious about how the buds

I've scoped are so dam smooth on the surface.  No hand nor machine trimmed bud looks that dam smooth.

thats good resto, I honestly dont believe that anyone in this forum steals trichomes from their patients either. but thats why I said "at the other end of the shelf" before you argued with me and said "  NO, it does not happen, even from you tricycler" .

Here's an alternate to calling me a liar;  

"Those despicable places and folks that do that pizz me off, thanks tri for reminding us that some in the medical scene, the ones with "counters they sell from"  are unscrupulous as you said.

peace tricycler, have a nice day"

Look tricycler,

You started your negative comment about trimming like this;

"or perhaps it was a way for sellers to scrape off the top before selling to their customers."

After I explained that I trim for quality. That was the rub. This is a theme for you. I say something positive and you crap all over it. It doesn't go unnoticed. 

Edited by Restorium2

Look tricycler,

You started your negative comment about trimming like this;

"or perhaps it was a way for sellers to scrape off the top before selling to their customers."

After I explained that I trim for quality. That was the rub. This is a theme for you. I say something positive and you crap all over it. It doesn't go unnoticed. 

the caregivers that I know of do not entertain customers. if that applies to you I understand your defensive tactics here, but detest your insistent trolling of near every post I make, even if it doesnt apply. You crap all over yourself resto, always have, everyone smells it whenever your in any room here. Please heal quickly my friend. we need every cannabiss helping hand we can muster.

we think this reminds us of you

duty_calls.png