Mechanical Vs. Hand Trimming.

Highlander

If you trim a lot you will see that there's no way a machine can see down into the buds and trim inside the basic outline of the bud. They don't have eyes. I don't even have to watch the video to know this. 

edit; I thought you were saying 'similar to hand trimming', sorry

is ok, but try to be nicer next time with your responses maybe?  YOu know I actually do trim alot, you know I would know that machines dont have eyes, and you also know I wouldnt have to watch the video either to know that.

good day

is ok, but try to be nicer next time with your responses maybe?  YOu know I actually do trim alot, you know I would know that machines dont have eyes, and you also know I wouldnt have to watch the video either to know that.

good day

I was quick to admit when I'm wrong and apologized. Write that down for later.

Edited by Restorium2

I'm wondering if if sometimes a tumbled bud may actually be a machine trimmed one after all.

It makes sense that they are mechanically tumbled.  I mean the bottom line is $$ and time is money.

Mechanical is indeed quicker and saves on time. 

Thing is... ALL the flowers I've scoped so far @ 11 local shops are too super smooth on the surface.

Calyx's broken off and trichomes missing. 

Beware of the tumble weed at dispensaries peoples.

It makes sense that they are mechanically tumbled.  I mean the bottom line is $$ and time is money.

Mechanical is indeed quicker and saves on time. 

Thing is... ALL the flowers I've scoped so far @ 11 local shops are too super smooth on the surface.

Calyx's broken off and trichomes missing. 

Beware of the tumble weed at dispensaries peoples.

sounds like maybe a dispensary supplier cropper with waay too much to trim at one time, owns/rents a trimmer, supplies your local shops, maybe local shops spin pro dried buds too when they get them, you know, otherwise they wouldnt have those 10 dollar pre rolls patrons love.

Yeah. No, not when they have the shook off stuff for sale down the other end of the counter. Or when a guy gets busted with a bag-o-weed and a bag-o-trichs in the other pocket. I think most all of the trich free stuff has been robbed on purpose. The power trimmer excuse would be pretty far fetched in my opinion. Just an excuse.

Edited by Restorium2

I was speaking with a cg who brought flowers into one of the shops I was visiting and in our conversation

they mentioned one place having a buy one get one on concentrates that they were going to as said cg

makes medibles and never has enough oil/ concentrates.  I would think that if this was said that IMO

at least that CG did not tumble the flowers PRE sale.  I feel it is the dispensaries doing so after the

acquiring from CG's.

Ibe been trimming nice & tight since its been legal, by hand. Call me crazy but I completely enjoy trimming, it's the icing on the cake, I couldn't imagine any other way. Hand trimming gives you a chance to examine every inch of each bud, never know when a small patch of mold or maybe a bit of dirt finds its way up onto a bud, it's quality controll.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll weight in, I suppose.

Trimming is an art. I've only ever done it for myself and patients, but I hear it can be lucrative if you are skilled.

I can do about 2 pounds in 8 hours, depending on how the plant was manicured.. I haven't met anyone faster yet.

Hand placement is essential. One hand crawls up the branch as the other hand snips. Grab the base of the bud and pull it out so you can get a 360 angle cut on it. If your scissors make that, "snip" sound, you are probably doing it wrong. I Moreso "scrap" the leaves off and only snip for fan leaf stems. This means you have to have the perfect cure going on for the leaves to crisp off this way.

Each bud should take less than 4 swipes. You should be averaging 3 and only doing 4 for the weird ones. Long motions with a beveled curve to your wrist means you never actually cut into the bud itself. That is why the expensive ones have curved blades. The concave part should face away from you.

Start slow, like learning to play guitar. Waste ZERO motions. Slow down if you are taking 6 swipes. It may take some practice, but after you have the muscle memory down, you can shred buds into beautiful arrays like edward scissorhashhands.

You can make your trimming table at a height so the weight of your arms is supported by resting your arms on the edge of the table, like with an ergonomic keyboard. Long hours of trimming can make your arms and shoulders tired. Have a bar stool so you can alternate from standing to sitting. Have great lighting and great tunes. Sometimes I trim for weeks on end. 10 hour days. Once you get in the groove it feels like you could do this job forever, then you finally run out of buds to clean and look forward to the next time. I have a bunch of scissors with broken springs. Anyone have a source for buying new scissor springs for your fiskars?