Transporting Marijuana-Infused Products In Michigan

Wild Bill

Here's an interesting article I ran across on the new laws regarding transporting infused products.

It hadn't really struck me how much they relied on pre-conceived notions about alcohol when writing these laws.

Edibles must be out of access of the driver. If there is open alcohol a driver can drink it and be impaired almost immediately. Cannabis on the other hand takes up to two hours to take effect when ingested. If a driver eats a canna-brownie when he gets in the car it very likely won't effect him until he reaches his destination, unless it's long trip.

Transporting marijuana-infused products in Michigan

If I was an MMMA patient, before I visit a dispensary to purchase edible marijuana medicine, I am going to inventory all the usable marijuana I have in my possession. I want to be certain I will not cross the 2.5-ounce threshold. Reading the labels on edibles and performing some simple math are essential. The safest practice would be for a patient or caregiver to weight all the usable marijuana they have at home before visiting the dispensary for an edible purchase. 2.5 ounces minus the usable marijuana at home = the maximum amount, in ounces, of edible marijuana equivalent that may be purchased without violating section (4)(b)(3). I am going to comply with both marijuana transport statutes. All edible products must be sealed and labeled. An edible wrapped with clear plastic wrap has to be sealed with tape. Hopefully, the dispensary staff will create a proper label at the time of purchase. However, if they won’t create the label, I am going to create the label with simple envelope labels. The edible is not going in my car unless it is sealed and labeled.

If I am a patient that has a treatment plan that requires me to carry edible medicine in my car, I will never transport an edible that has been opened. To prevent waste, I will carefully plan for transporting infused products. Once the edible is opened at my destination, it will never return to my home in my car. I will request my caregiver create small portioned edibles, each individually wrapped and labeled to meet my treatment plan. If I create my own edible product, I will weigh, seal, and label each edible. Above all, I am going to avoid the situation where I am tempted to reseal a marijuana-infused product.

so you think it's better to label the brownie instead of just toss a unlabeled brownie in a lunch pal and keep quiet about it?

I wonder if an officer smells MJ during a traffic stop or finds obvious buds for whatever reason, does that create probable cause that any food in the car may contain MJ?

In other words, what would be the trigger to allow a cop to seize unlabeled food with the suspicion that it might contain MJ?

so you think it's better to label the brownie instead of just toss a unlabeled brownie in a lunch pal and keep quiet about it?

Safest is probably throwing a brownie in a lunchbox with an apple and a sandwich. Legal is a whole different ballgame.

Best practice is to grow your own and make your own edibles. Never have to leave the house.

Thats what I think :)  .. lol I seldom make medables for my patients.. but when i do, I bag them up nice, seal, and wrap it in brown paper.. an off i go! I try to go down-low and hope for the best. I'm not a pharmacy nor a delivery service. Labels are for business, if i am a business, then  dont limit my perspective clients. 

Edited by Willy