Parting Gift From Dea

News
December 15, 2016 DEA: CBD Oil Declared Schedule 1, Claims Cannabis Product Has No Medical Benefits [updated]

According to the DEA, CBD oil is now to be considered a Schedule 1 substance. The Drug Enforcement Administration, the United States federal agency tasked with regulating and policing controlled substances, issued the new ruling Wednesday, and it goes into effect Thursday.

(See below for updated legal information and a link to the text of the DEA memo)

What Is CBD Oil?CBD-Oil-Dispensary-670x388.jpgCBD Oil Displayed At A Medical Marijuana Dispensary. [image by Carla K. Johnson/AP Images]

CBD oil, short for cannabidiol oil, is derived from the cannabis or marijuana plant. The difference in CBD oil, however, is that it is processed from hemp plants that do no contain a large amount of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. This means that CBD oil does not have the psychoactive component that is present in other medical marijuana products, and it doesn’t get you high.

CBD oil benefits patients in a variety of ways despite it’s connection to the illegal cannabis plant, according to the pro-medical marijuana organization California NORML.

“CBD has nonetheless long been known to have useful anti-spasmodic, anti-epileptic, anti-anxiety, and anti-psychotic properties.”

CBD oil has been used in the treatment of such conditions as multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, anxiety disorders, and for pain management in cancer patients. The fact that it does not produce a “high” in patients has made it attractive for many, and particularly in the treatment of children with chronic disorders. CBD oil is sold and marketed in many forms, including as a liquid, in pills, and as capsules.

The DEA CBD Oil Ruling

The final documents on the new DEA CBD oil ruling make cannabis oil a Schedule 1 substance, according to KRCR TV. Schedule 1 status is defined by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

“Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote.”

The Schedule 1 status of cannabis and marijuana has long been a point of contention between much of the public and the DEA, particularly when used for medicinal purposes. Twenty-eight states in the US, as well as the District of Columbia, have made medical marijuana legal to some degree in defiance of federal law. A number of states have also made the recreational use of cannabis legal, as in the case of Colorado, where both medical and recreational marijuana are legal, regulated, and taxed under state law.

The new DEA CBD oil ruling is an especially poignant one, in that CBD oil is specifically designed to be a medicinal product and a dietary supplement. As the substance does not produce a mind-altering state, it would not seem to have a “high potential for abuse,” and case studies suggest that CBD oil does indeed have an “accepted medical use.”

CBD-Harvest-670x388.jpgA Medical Marijuana Harvest. [image by Seth Perlman/AP Images]

The Wednesday decision states that according to the DEA, CBD oil, and any cannabis extract falls under code 7350, a new federal code, and thus carries Schedule 1 status. The ruling is not a change in federal law, but rather a clarification of existing statutes. CBD oil manufacturers have long operated under the theory that since their product was produced from hemp, which contains a lower amount of THC than is illegal under federal guidelines, they were in legal territory at the federal level. The DEA CBD oil decision removes the ambiguity and places CBD firmly under Schedule 1.

The announcement means that CBD oil manufacturers and distributes will have to update their registrations to the new code 7350 by January 13 in the states in which it is legal to produce. It will be illegal to transport the substance over state lines, and the long-term consequences for the CBD oil industry, as well as patients who use it, is unclear.

[update On DEA CBD Oil News]

This story can be clarified by a memo from Folium Legal Counsel. Folium issued a statement offering legal analysis of the DEA news.

This new rule does not create any new substantive regulation or law regarding the legal status of marijuana or marijuana extract. Instead, it creates a new tracking code number for “Marihuana Extracts” (which include cannabinoids). Previously, Marijuana Extracts were classified under the code number for “Marihuana. Under the new rule, extracts are now classified separately,” the statement reads. “This new rule affects only DEA-registered entities who previously were required to track such materials. As the document states, “[t]he only direct effect to registrants who handle marihuana extracts will be the requirement to add the new drug code to their registrations.'”

The legal analysis goes on to explain that the DEA is not permitted to interfere with “legal state licensed cannabis business” and that the DEA has been de-funded from “pursuing any enforcement of their archaic interpretation of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in legal states.”

The full text of the DEA CBD oil memo is available here.

Possible legal challenge to the DEA's CBD ruling

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/hold-deas-move-cbd-may-not-legal

US 9th Circuit Court concluded that non-psychoactive hemp had not been regulated by Congress under the scheduling system     That does not include the rest of the Nation.. Also never buy CBD from Hemp..and for CBD to work best it must have THC in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, some CBD hemp oil companies, in their quest for quick profits and market share, have been all too willing to denigrate cannabis (it gets you high -- horrors!) and throw the whole plant under the bus. CBD has often been misportrayed as the truly medical part of the plant, while THC has been cast as marijuana’s regrettable recreational component. It’s all malarkey. THC has awesome medical properties, which augment and magnify CBD’s formidable healing potential. Simply put, THC and CBD are the power couple of cannabis therapeutics; they work best together as part of a whole plant configuration. Medical patients should have access to a wide range of cannabis-based remedies, not just low-THC or no-THC options.

A few of us here have been preaching this for years and years, fighting the information war between;  

What we know works and doesn't.

VS

What some think is their way to corner some market share $$$ by bragging up something that doesn't even work for most all patients.

The thing about low THC is it's easy to grow something that's weak, and harder to grow strong medicine. So the rip off fits right in with bad growing and bad strains that produce a lot of fluff that doesn't do anything. Off your fluff as super great low THC medicinal marijuana. It's just BS for money. 

The thing about low THC is it's easy to grow something that's weak, and harder to grow strong medicine. So the rip off fits right in with bad growing and bad strains that produce a lot of fluff that doesn't do anything. Off your fluff as super great low THC medicinal marijuana. It's just BS for money. 

Are you saying the high CBD, low THC strains like ACDC, Charlotte's Web, Cannatonic, etc, are bad strains? 

To each there own. If you have something that works for you then great. What do you use those strains for personally?

What I'm saying is I haven't seen anything that makes me think that you have to have those specific strains for any specific use. I'll leave it at that.

I think that if these strains help children with autism or seizures then that's great. And if they help these kids as good as high thc strains without the heavy stone then that's what the specific use would be....imo

I think that if these strains help children with autism or seizures then that's great. And if they help these kids as good as high thc strains without the heavy stone then that's what the specific use would be....imo

Check out the other thread with a product that is pure THC and no CBD and does the same thing. And the kid isn't getting high. It's a nasal spray. Just don't want to get too far off topic in this thread.

To each there own. If you have something that works for you then great. What do you use those strains for personally?

What I'm saying is I haven't seen anything that makes me think that you have to have those specific strains for any specific use. I'll leave it at that. 

I haven't used them yet. I plan to in the very near future when I can get down to Lansing where a dispensary sells Cannatonic. Their website calls it Cannatonic #4. I believe these high CBD strains will protect my brain and slow aging as some are saying. What do you think?

All my knowledge of modern day cannabis comes from the Internet. As a teenager of the late 1960s and 70s, I smoked a lot of pot. However, the last time I smoked was in 1977.

I haven't used them yet. I plan to in the very near future when I can get down to Lansing where a dispensary sells Cannatonic. Their website calls it Cannatonic #4. I believe these high CBD strains will protect my brain and slow aging as some are saying. What do you think?

All my knowledge of modern day cannabis comes from the Internet. As a teenager of the late 1960s and 70s, I smoked a lot of pot. However, the last time I smoked was in 1977.

I believe it might do that for you. But I don't see why just the CBD is beneficial. I think there's more in cannabis for brain health than just the CBD. Proven in rat studies.

I believe it might do that for you. But I don't see why just the CBD is beneficial. I think there's more in cannabis for brain health than just the CBD. Proven in rat studies.

I don't get high anymore on anything. I am thinking about using a high THC strain raw, blended into smoothie as I've heard this won't get you high under normal circumstances. I also noticed in one of Ricky Simpson's videos that he claimed you can use the oil he makes out of high THC strains without getting high.

I don't get high anymore on anything. I am thinking about using a high THC strain raw, blended into smoothie as I've heard this won't get you high under normal circumstances. I also noticed in one of Ricky Simpson's videos that he claimed you can use the oil he makes out of high THC strains without getting high.

If you ever want to get 'less high' from anything cannabis, carefully add heat. THC evaporates at a lower temp than the other cannabinoids. We found this out in the old days when we overcooked our medibles. 

Cannabinoid and Terpene Info

Posted by Skunk Pharm Research,LLC.

What exactly are the essential oils that we are extracting from the cannabis plant, and what are their properties?

Here is a nifty list that I scored off ICMag, posted by Spurr, who used http://cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2001-03-04-7.pdf as his information source:

?-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) Boiling point: Lots of sources saying 157C / 315 degree Fahrenheit but Merck says 200C @0.02, and that is is about where it comes over with the rest of the C-21 sized molecules during short path distillation.  Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD) Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN) Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC) Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG) Boiling point: MP52 Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC) Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

ß-myrcene Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

ß-caryophyllene Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol) Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

a-pinene Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

a-terpineol Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

ß-sitosterol Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-a-reductase, inhibitor

Edited by Restorium2

• 3 weeks later...

couldnt find any info that this lady actually ever worked with the DEA, but ok.

Actually there are many, many results on her career in the DEA with a simple Google search. Most of them look legit to me. Would it surprise any of us someone changed their opinion on MMJ? Maybe she just got educated on the issue or someone close to her gets immense relief from MMJ? Whatever the case, I agree with her and applaud the fact she admits she was wrong. People who don't have any medical issues that MMJ would help should be the last people making decisions for people it does help. It just doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Dalbert