Michigan Unemployment Agency Made 20,000 False Fraud Accusations

bax

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/18/michigan-unemployment-agency-fraud-accusations

A Michigan government agency wrongly accused individuals in at least 20,000 cases of fraudulently seeking unemployment payments, according to a review by the state.

The review released this week found that an automated system had erroneously accused claimants in 93% of cases – a rate that stunned even lawyers suing the state over the computer system and faulty fraud claims.

“It’s literally balancing the books on the backs of Michigan’s poorest and jobless,” attorney David Blanchard, who is pursuing a class action in federal court on behalf of several claimants, told the Guardian on Friday.

please spread this far and wide, there is now a class action lawsuit against the state of michigan for pursuing fraud against the unemployed people of michigan.

The review found that the overwhelming majority of claims over a two-year period between October 2013 and August 2015 were in error.

The people accused lost access to unemployment payments, and reported facing fines as high as $100,000. Those who appealed the fines fought the claims in lengthy administrative hearings. And some had their federal and state taxes garnished.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/18/michigan-unemployment-agency-fraud-accusationsA Michigan government agency wrongly accused individuals in at least 20,000 cases of fraudulently seeking unemployment payments, according to a review by the state.The review released this week found that an automated system had erroneously accused claimants in 93% of cases – a rate that stunned even lawyers suing the state over the computer system and faulty fraud claims.“It’s literally balancing the books on the backs of Michigan’s poorest and jobless,” attorney David Blanchard, who is pursuing a class action in federal court on behalf of several claimants, told the Guardian on Friday.please spread this far and wide, there is now a class action lawsuit against the state of michigan for pursuing fraud against the unemployed people of michigan.The review found that the overwhelming majority of claims over a two-year period between October 2013 and August 2015 were in error.The people accused lost access to unemployment payments, and reported facing fines as high as $100,000. Those who appealed the fines fought the claims in lengthy administrative hearings. And some had their federal and state taxes garnished.

This is what happens when you try to do government functions on the cheap.

The Republicans ask themselves this question:

"What do we want to have? A good system or a cheap system?"

How do you think they answer this question?

Edited by AmishRnot4ganja

Same with assistance and food stamps. The program's goal is to 'accept' the least amount of people as possible, not make the program work to actually help the most people. It's run like an insurance company, deny, deny, deny. That's what you get when you have an R legislature, a business style government that doesn't adjust itself to help anyone. It's about the bottom line, like with the Flint water supply f over, do it cheap and get er done.  

This is what happens when you try to do government functions on the cheap.

The Republicans ask themselves this question:

"What do we want to have? A good system or a cheap system?"

How do you think they answer this question?

Well cheaper puts more money in someone's pockets!!

Farmer Brown

Heres an example of why Republicans ruin government, purposefully, so people think it doesn't work.

Anyhow,... I am on disability and I have to report income which lowers the amount I get per month.

So, 2 years ago, I get a letter from the state(automated) saying I am in violation for not reporting income and will be removed from the disability program.  I was like "WTF".  I always report my income.

Anyhow, after jumping through hoops I come to find out they said I was not reporting income from my bank. Again, I am like wtf are you talking about.  No interest. Wtf.

So, come to find out, I have a "green" account which generally doesn't use checks, mostly debit.  So when I use my debit card at a store, I get a ten cent refund for using it.  Come to find out, they went back three years, and over that 3 years I had received,... get this, $3.70,..... over three years. And since I hadn't reported it, I was to be kicked off disability.  Now remind you first of all, I do not report any income per month under $20.  They don't want to know. Twenty bucks doesn't change your check amount. Which comes to my second point, it literally doesn't change my payments nor was I "getting one over" on the system.

And finally, since when is a "rebate" considered "income"?  Seriously? It was my fukn money to begin with. *grumble*

So, long story short, it took me 3 months, a few hours driving, and at least 4 hours of some bureaucrats time to realize, "oh, you didn't need to report that "income", it wouldn't have effected your check.

Ok cool. 

Was it over yet?  NO. 

So, during that period I went back on SNAP benefits because I lost 3 months of disability payments due to this new republican rule and process. Fine. I try to do without them, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you lose a paycheck for 3 months.

So,... I get food stamps for 4 months while this is going on.  All good.  Then a couple months after I get my disability payments back online, I get a letter from DHS that I hadn't reported income to them! So, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda,  I find out that again they are going after my checking account rebates(usually like ten or twenty cents a MONTH) and that for SNAP benefits, I have to report every single penny I make, whereas with my disability payments I only report income above $20/month.  So,... in the end, I seriously had to pay back $7 to the state for not reporting One dollars worth of "income" over that 4 months.  Now, how that made ANY sense I have no idea.  But what I can tell you is it was never like this before republicans took over.  A checking account rebate of a couple dimes is enough to say you are no longer disabled and penalized for food stamps,.... that  I had to report EVERY MONTH that ten or twenty cents I got back.  My case worker actually apologized up and down to me and said this would have never happened before, but they "privatized" that part of the department and it has been nothing but do absolutely anything to kick people off help.

*shrug*

Fuk Republican destruction of government.  They say government doesn't work and do their best to prove it every time they get control.

That is for unemployment. I am on disability.

What bothers me the most is that, I have the capability and wherewithal to jump through the hoops and get stuff like that resolved. I wonder how many totally disabled people spend years living without, or on the street etc because of this aggressive oversight.  I mean, I am all about stopping fraud, but creating these ridiculous tiny little things is way over the top and rather heartless.

Same with the drug testing of welfare recipients and the likes.  Waste of time, money and resources. Spend a dollar to save a nickel.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these private oversight companies get a bounty for every person that they get kicked off assistance.

Besides hobbling government so they can claim that it doesn't work, another Republican trick is to make the programs so hard to comply with (like abortion clinic regulations) that participants eventually give up and go away.

Jeez-o-pete Mal,

That is horrible, and just plain ridiculous!! Have you contacted anyone ( like one of them effin repug congressmen)about this? You seem to be very connected at the state level, maybe you could get some relief through one of our reps!! I am sorry that you have to go through such BS!!

Farmer Brown