Trump Reality Check

Restorium2

Seems pretty clear to me that she used a private email server to send and recieve classified emails and he used a private email server to send and recieve state documents allowed by his states law...

Ah, time for one of those .... wait for it ..... reality checks;

In 2016, while he was governor of Indiana, Vice President Mike Pence sent and received classified emails through a personal email account, The Indianapolis Star reported on Thursday.

Dont you think its time we have moved on and focus on the future?

That's what we are doing. Don't you think it's time to stop giving Trump and his clown posse a blank check and look for some accountability? Just because you voted for Trump doesn't mean you can't be objective for 4 years going forward. It's not like you signed some sort of contract to kiss his arse for 4 years.

Michigan voted for Bernie!

;-)

We sure did!! But unfortunately our electoral college delegates did not, GRRRR!! Stabenow was a super delegate and she voted against the wishes of the citizens of Michigan and I have let her know several times now how I feel about that crapola,also let her know if she wants to run again, she will never get my vote( a story about how out of it she was from when she came to the Northern Michigan Small Farm Conference several years ago,cut to the chase, the conference consists of educational break-out sessions, she was on the stage with an obvious,I don't know what is going on look on her face, she looked to her right and saw a few musical intrumkents and, quote- " I hope you folks have wonderful hoe-down here today, I was floored) Trump would not have stood a chance against Bernie( and Wasserman-Schultz knew that too,that is why she pulled the trickery she did!!), Even a lot of my right wing friends told me they would have voted for Bernie, but could never vote for Hillary, so actually we have the DNC to thank for "giving" the presidency to the Donald, a business man as president is as bad as it can get, government is not a "for profit" entity and business people only know how to operate for a profit or if needed for tax purposes, a loss, jeesh!!! We would be better off with a director of a non profit for president imho.

Farmer Brown

whats this about cutting coast guard (bad idea) , tsa (good idea), to pay for more military planes?

Right! The coast guard keeps America safe at our borders. They do most of the work.

And Trump is proposing cutting the budget to keep the Greats Lakes clean from $300,000,000 down to just $10,000,000. 

Trump said he would drain the swamp and all he did was feed the gators.

There's plenty to be disappointed about if you are a Trump supporter. Plenty. Just like the rest of us. 

Right! The coast guard keeps America safe at our borders. They do most of the work.

And Trump is proposing cutting the budget to keep the Greats Lakes clean from $300,000,000 down to just $10,000,000. 

Trump said he would drain the swamp and all he did was feed the gators.

There's plenty to be disappointed about if you are a Trump supporter. Plenty. Just like the rest of us. 

My big concern with Trump's hope/intention to basically eliminate the EPA is what we folks in the business of environment and economics refer to as "externalities."  Leaving environmental protection up to individual states is a bad idea. 

Gordon Lightfoot sung, "And farther below Lake Ontario takes in what Lake Erie can send her."

It wasn't too long ago that Lake Erie was a cess pool, and the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire due to severe contamination.  The federal Clean Water Act solved that.  

Absent federal environmental laws, Michigan can revise state laws to allow dumping of whatever into the Detroit River...Let Zug Island dump anything towards our downstream neighbors.....and let Lake Erie and Lake Ontario take whatever we send them.  Not our problem.

That's what we are doing. Don't you think it's time to stop giving Trump and his clown posse a blank check and look for some accountability? Just because you voted for Trump doesn't mean you can't be objective for 4 years going forward. It's not like you signed some sort of contract to kiss his arse for 4 years.

Show me where i have not been objective? Or where he has been given a blank check?

Your grasping at straws here pal.

Actually, we all have been had, because of a minority of voters, many right here in Michigan.

2014:

Screen-Shot-2015-01-13-at-5.23.29-PM.png

As NCSL notes, Republicans now control more than 4,100 seats -- their highest number since 1920. After taking over 11 legislative chambers from Democrats in 2014, Republicans now control 30 state legislatures completely -- and have full control of state government (state legislature and governorship) in 23 states. Democrats, by contrast, have full control of 11 state legislatures and total control of state government in just seven states. (Click here for an amazing NCSL chart that details which side controls every state legislature.)

2016:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/14/1598918/-Republicans-now-dominate-state-government-with-32-legislatures-and-33-governors

Republicans control both chambers in 32 states, including 17 with veto-proof majorities. Those 32 states cover 61 percent of the U.S. population. Democrats, meanwhile, control the legislature in just 13 states, amounting to 28 percent of the country’s population; only five of those chambers have veto-proof majorities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/16/no-republicans-dont-control-enough-states-to-change-the-constitution-but-its-close/?utm_term

pretty close to being able to change the constitution of the united states...

Here, Republicans come their closest to being able to get the ball rolling on their own: They control both chambers in 33 states, just shy of the 34 needed.

i'm not posting this to troll anyone, to annoy anyone. these are facts.

i dont want you to explain anything. all i want is you to ask your democratic party represenative what they are going to do to change this losing streak.

Show me where i have not been objective? Or where he has been given a blank check?

Your grasping at straws here pal.

Ok. A test then;

So what do you think about Trump cutting the budget to keep our Michigan drinking water safe and clean by about 3000%?

I'm going to list just one thing so it doesn't overwhelm you. One reality check at a time.

This is where I stand. The 45th President, his Cabinet and administration, and most Republicans in Congress are an active threat to me, my way of life, and people I love.
Some people are saying that we should give Trump a chance, that we should "work together" with him because he won the election and he is "everyone's president." This is my response:
•I will not forget how badly he and so many others treated former President Barack Obama for 8 years...Lies about his legitimacy and hatred for his principles and his attempts to work within the system.
•I will not "work together" to privatize Medicare, cut Social Security and Medicaid.
•I will not "work together" to build a wall.
•I will not "work together" to persecute Muslims.
•I will not "work together" to shut out refugees from other countries.
•I will not "work together" to lower taxes on the 1% and increase taxes on the middle class and poor.
•I will not "work together" to help Trump use the Presidency to line his pockets and those of his family.
•I will not "work together" to weaken and demolish environmental protection.
•I will not "work together" to sell American lands, especially National Parks, to companies which then despoil those lands.
•I will not "work together" to enable the killing of whole species of animals just because they are predators, or inconvenient for a few, or because some people want to get their thrills killing them.
•I will not "work together" to remove civil rights from anyone.
•I will not "work together" to alienate countries that have been our allies for as long as I have been alive.
•I will not "work together" to slash funding for education.
•I will not "work together" to take basic assistance from people who are at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.
•I will not "work together" to eliminate the minimum wage.
•I will not "work together" to support so-called "Right To Work" laws, or undermine, weaken or destroy Unions in any way.
•I will not "work together" to suppress scientific research, be it on climate change, fracking, or any other issue where a majority of scientists agree that Trump and his supporters are wrong on the facts.
•I will not "work together" to criminalize abortion or restrict health care for women.
•I will not "work together" to increase the number of nations that have nuclear weapons.
•I will not "work together" to put even more "big money" into politics.
•I will not "work together" to violate the Geneva Convention.
•I will not "work together" to give the Ku Klux Klan, the Nazi Party and white supremacists a seat at the table, or to normalize their hatred.
•I will not "work together" to deny health care to people who need it.
•I will not "work together" to increase voter suppression.
•I will not "work together" to normalize tyranny.
•I will not “work together” to eliminate or reduce ethical oversight at any level of government.
•I will not "work together" with anyone who is, or admires, tyrants and dictators.
•I will not support anyone that thinks it's OK to put a pipeline to transport oil on Sacred Ground for Native Americans. And, it would run under the Missouri River, which provides drinking water for millions of people.
•I will not "work together" to legitimize racism, sexism, and authoritarianism.
•I WILL stand for honesty, love, respect.
•I WILL use my voice and my heart, to reach out.
That "winning", "being great again", "rich" or even "beautiful" is nothing... When others are sacrificed to glorify its existence.
Signed  Me

Edited by cristinew

If we truly want to bring back manufacturing jobs to the U.S. We have to focus on why they left in the first place. We bombed the shorts of the Japanese and Germans in WWII and then handed them our technology during reconstruction. Within a generation, by the 1970s, the Japanese and Germans started beating us at our own game,with quality and fuel efficient vehicles. Americans got too comfortable.

Why is it that the Japanese responded to the oil crisis in the 1970s with quality cars and the best we could do was offer the Ford Pinto? During WWII, we were able to quickly re-tool auto manufacturing plants to crank out planes and tanks. But we didn't respond to the oil crisis 30 years later with quality cars. Jimmy Carter nailed it with his "crisis of confidence" speech but that was 30 years ahead of its time and mostly just scared people.

In my line of work, I meet a lot of folks who own or operate manufacturing plants. What I've learned from them is that the Chinese and Mexicans crank-out low quality. Case in point- the Magna plant in Grand Blanc, MI. They make backup cameras. Their facility in Grand Blanc had a parts failure of about 1 in 1,000,000. Their facility in China had a failure rate of 1 in 1,000. Magna decided to close the plant in China and move production to Grand Blanc, resulting in 400 new jobs.

I'm not a jingoist. But the truth is, the Chinese make crap. Visit your local Harbor Freight tool store. I used to be a sucker for their low-priced tools, but quickly learned that most of their power tools are extremely low quality. I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a tool I can pass onto my son.

I still have a Milwaukee sawzall my dad used in the 1960s.

Chinese workers routinely fling themselves to their death out of factory windows. That's not a good business model. They don't care about quality. They are waay lower on Maslove's pyramid.

If the U.S. generally and Michigan specifically, wants to bring back manufacturing jobs, we need to focus on vocational education.

We need to depart from the notion that every young person needs a college education. We need to emphasize vocational education at the high school level to build a solid work force of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and machinists.

If Trump is serious about bringing blue collar jobs back to the U.S., he will push for funding in the public education sector to teach our youth vocational skills. It all starts there.

Lots of good stuff. Does the voc ed you mention involve tech training in computers skills like coding? R&D?

I remember Roger Smith's comment that GM was not in business to make cars; that it was in business to make money. He delivered the Vega. Quality has improved since, and technology has most to do with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. A test then;

So what do you think about Trump cutting the budget to keep our Michigan drinking water safe and clean by about 3000%?

I'm going to list just one thing so it doesn't overwhelm you. One reality check at a time.

I think that the 3000% has been wasted for a very long time. Look at the flint water crisis, how much of the 3000% did they get?

Yer way off there pal, the money they were spending still wasn't enough to do what they need to do to protect our Great Lakes. If they make this cut you will soon see the results with the decline and pollution of our waters. Do you remember when you could dip water out of the Saginaw river & use it in your car for antifreeze year round? You will soon see & then it will be too late.

Yer way off there pal, the money they were spending still wasn't enough to do what they need to do to protect our Great Lakes. If they make this cut you will soon see the results with the decline and pollution of our waters. Do you remember when you could dip water out of the Saginaw river & use it in your car for antifreeze year round? You will soon see & then it will be too late.

You may be right, i could be way off. Im not above admiting im wrong.

I think that the 3000% has been wasted for a very long time. Look at the flint water crisis, how much of the 3000% did they get?

The funding/reduction in funding has nothing to do with the Flint water crisis. It's only about the Great Lakes water. Trump wants to cut the $300,000,000 federal budget for protecting our Great Lakes to $10,000,000. That's a 97% cut. It sickens me. It wasn't too long ago that Lake Erie was so polluted that you couldn't even swim in it, let alone eat the fish. And the Cayahoga River in Cleveland (which dumps into Lake Erie) actually caught on fire due to pollutants. We fixed that problem (somewhat)

We in Michigan are the primary stewards of the largest fresh water system in the world. But we, in Michigan, can't do it alone. If Trump's federal policy cuts the balls off the EPA, there is nothing to stop Chicago from letting Asian carp into Lake Michigan. Illinois and Indiana have only tiny slices of Lake Michigan. Absent EPA enforcement, Chicago, Illinois and Gary, Indiana can dump any amount of raw sewage and industrial chemicals into Lake Michigan. It won't make much difference to them.

I'm completely blindsided and aghast that Trump doesn't see fit to protect the Great Lakes. Likely, as rivers get more and more polluted and aquifers are pumped dry, the Great Lakes will become the sole drinking water resource for most of the U.S.