Disabled. Soon To Be Homeless.

I have a serious organ disease - I had intestinal gangrene when I was 10 years old.  A judge put me on SSDI.  I have a medical marijuana card and live in Mid-Michigan.  My landlord just got me evicted and I have about 18 days left to leave.  The eviction was over the scent of marijuana but it was never proven.  The judge made it sound like I had no chance of fighting it in trial so I just accepted the eviction and am now worried about my rental record.  I have no vehicle, no where else to go.  My parents are still alive (and very ill) but my mother is a hoarder who lives in her own filth and a contaminated house - I can't live with her again, unless it's my final option... which terrifies me.  If I were to call the health inspector, they would not let me live there.

I'm trying not to panic but I'm on the verge of being disabled and homeless.  My conscious is telling me this isn't right.  I'm going to do non-stop research now but I really am not educated with this stuff.  My landlord told me to apply at places that are income based and allow smoking because they wouldn't care about my previous eviction... but I'd also have to find a place that is leasing right now... and find transportation... but I live in the middle of no where and don't know anyone.

If anyone could please offer me some suggestions or advice or something... please, this is scary.

Edited by shenmue

“2-1-1 didn’t just give me help, they gave me hope.”

At any given time in Michigan someone – maybe you or someone you care about-- is worried, stressed and unsure where to turn for answers.

Maybe your unemployment benefits are tapped out, and the utility bills are coming due – with no means to cover them.

Perhaps your aging parents have immediate home health care needs or mounting medical bills.

Or, maybe you’re looking for affordable child care, preschool or after-school programs for the kids – on a slim-to-none budget.

Is there someone who can help? Yes. 

Michigan 2-1-1 is a free, confidential service that connects you with local community-based organizations across the state offering thousands of different programs and services for people seeking answers.

Last year more than half a million Michigan residents turned to 2-1-1 for health and human service information and referrals and the numbers continue to grow.

If you need help for yourself, a neighbor or a loved one, call 2-1-1 or search the 2-1-1 website to find out where to get help.   2-1-1 has information on more than 30,000 different programs and services across the state.

Even if there isn’t a program to meet your particular need, 2-1-1’s professional and certified staff can help you figure out your options and how to move forward.

Michigan 2-1-1 is here for you.

So, call us when you need us.

Get Connected. Get Answers.

“2-1-1 didn’t just give me help, they gave me hope.”

At any given time in Michigan someone – maybe you or someone you care about-- is worried, stressed and unsure where to turn for answers.

Maybe your unemployment benefits are tapped out, and the utility bills are coming due – with no means to cover them.

Perhaps your aging parents have immediate home health care needs or mounting medical bills.

Or, maybe you’re looking for affordable child care, preschool or after-school programs for the kids – on a slim-to-none budget.

Is there someone who can help? Yes. 

Michigan 2-1-1 is a free, confidential service that connects you with local community-based organizations across the state offering thousands of different programs and services for people seeking answers.

Last year more than half a million Michigan residents turned to 2-1-1 for health and human service information and referrals and the numbers continue to grow.

If you need help for yourself, a neighbor or a loved one, call 2-1-1 or search the 2-1-1 website to find out where to get help.   2-1-1 has information on more than 30,000 different programs and services across the state.

Even if there isn’t a program to meet your particular need, 2-1-1’s professional and certified staff can help you figure out your options and how to move forward.

Michigan 2-1-1 is here for you.

So, call us when you need us.

Get Connected. Get Answers.

Thank you for helping out so much on here and around the State 

It's important to help each other. It is what makes a community or Nation great. 

I think Shenmue just happened to post in the right place at the right time, and for some odd reason I just happened to sit down at my computer at the right time and have the best answer to find help.

The universe is cool like that.

Pass it on is all I ever ask... :-)

Everyone will or does know someone that needs to know that help number. Don't forget it.

Call.

Tell them you need rental housing asap. There are programs that can help with security payments as well as some churches and St Vincent type places sometimes help.

Be your best advocate.

If you were on housing assistance you should be able to transfer. there are also places that will accommodate on sliding scales. You just have to find out. It varies county to county.

Rather than becoming homeless I would try following the process in this document

to inform your landlord that you are disabled and medical cannabis is used by you

to directly treat your disabling condition.  Therefore it is your right to stay and continue

to use your medicine.  Your are formally requesting an accommodation for your disability

and require a written response within seven days, thank you very much.

http://www.housing-r...A_RM_Packet.pdf

If they decline your request, call legal aid in your county and have a free consultation

with a lawyer who will let you know how to proceed.  A couple years ago, my landlord

threatened to evict me because someone complained about my smoke.  I had the

same discussion with them and they backed down, letting me stay.

I also made peace with my neighbor by switching from joints to a water pipe.  Made

less smoke, problem solved.

Edited by iwombat

I'm trying with some suggestions.  Nothing really working out.  I might have found a place to move but I don't know yet and I'm upset about this being on my record.  I appreciate all the posts.

call a aclu lawyer and reopen your eviction case.

otherwise complain for 2 weeks online until you are homeless. those are your options.

Considering this...

Are you somewhere around Bay City? You can try the Port Austin Bible Campus homeless shelter. The pastor there approves of medical marijuana and has had a number of people in the shelter with medical marijuana cards in the past.

http://www.portaustin.net/pabc/

No, I'm about 30 mins from Midland.

Rather than becoming homeless I would try following the process in this document

to inform your landlord that you are disabled and medical cannabis is used by you

to directly treat your disabling condition.  Therefore it is your right to stay and continue

to use your medicine.  Your are formally requesting an accommodation for your disability

and require a written response within seven days, thank you very much.

http://www.housing-r...A_RM_Packet.pdf

If they decline your request, call legal aid in your county and have a free consultation

with a lawyer who will let you know how to proceed.  A couple years ago, my landlord

threatened to evict me because someone complained about my smoke.  I had the

same discussion with them and they backed down, letting me stay.

I also made peace with my neighbor by switching from joints to a water pipe.  Made

less smoke, problem solved.

I'm sorry but I don't understand.  It just sounds like they would put the federal law in my face.

Edited by shenmue

I'm trying with some suggestions.  Nothing really working out.  I might have found a place to move but I don't know yet and I'm upset about this being on my record.  I appreciate all the posts.

Considering this...

No, I'm about 30 mins from Midland.

I'm sorry but I don't understand.  It just sounds like they would put the federal law in my face.

was it a federal judge?

you cant be evicted if theres no evidence of marijuana crime. smell alone is not enough.

call the aclu lawyers.

or enjoy being homeless. i recommend bus ticket to somewhere warmer. too cold in the midwest to be homeless.

Edited by bax

you cant be evicted if theres no evidence of marijuana crime. smell alone is not enough.

call the aclu lawyers.

or enjoy being homeless. i recommend bus ticket to somewhere warmer. too cold in the midwest to be homeless.

Complain online for 2 weeks.  Enjoy being homeless.  Crude.

So sorry but i don't think the ACLU will help and smell alone is enough to get a warrant on anyones home or place

2 lawyers and the judge were saying something about new rules being passed for landlords having more power for evictions.  So, I think you're right.  I'll still contact them but it's probably a lost cause.  I probably said this already but the judge said testimonies would be enough to convict me.

Regardless of where you're at in Michigan you can still go to the Port Austin Bible Campus homeless shelter if nothing else works out for you. He will allow you to possess

and use marijuana if you have a medical card.

I hope it doesn't come to this... but I'll keep it in mind.

Edited by shenmue