#1 Dizledot

Dizledot

MMMA Author

• +Authors
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

Does a community have to have a zoning law on the books to regulate commercial grows? The reason I ask, we have commercial/ industrial buildings being used for commercial grows.

#2 bax

bax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

since the state has not issued any licenses for 4209 businesses , there are no state approved businesses. if your city / county prosecutors are cool with dispensaries... thats up to them. hope that answers your question. MSP could raid at any time, but they would be in for a fight.

#3 Dizledot

Dizledot

MMMA Author

• +Authors
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info.

#4 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• +CC-Dickinson
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

Getting a "permission slip" from your municipality is a requirement to file for State licensing.

#5 Dizledot

Dizledot

MMMA Author

• +Authors
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

Getting a "permission slip" from your municipality is a requirement to file for State licensing.

Thank you for the information. 

#6 blackhorse

blackhorse

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Last I heard, no townships or cities have approved ordinances for or against the new grow laws. Anyone have more info?

Kind of early as committee is just now getting set up at state level.

#7 bax

bax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

some townships are debating it, i've run into a few articles on the subject.

there is a lack of reporting on local govt affairs. no one reads newspapers.

so here is one that just popped up

http://eauclairemi.com/

Notice of Planning Commission Meeting

Tuesday February 21, 2017

At 6:30 PM

Eau Claire Village Hall

Agenda:

New Michigan Medical Marihuana Licensing Facility law

Old Blossomland VFW Post parcel foreclosure

Merit High Speed Internet Information
  • blackhorse likes this

#8 bax

bax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

heres another

http://flushingview....ana_ordina.html

and another

http://www.upmichiga...daggett-notice/

The Village Council needs your input! We are considering implementing an ordinance for a Marijuana Distribution Center, but would like the residents to voice their opinion either through letters to P.O. Box 67, Daggett, MI 49821, or by attending a meeting the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m.

another

http://www.leaderpub...-marijuana-law/

its happening in every town and city right now, business owners talking to city planning depts.
  • blackhorse likes this

#9 shishka

shishka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

I think a lot know which direction they are going i.e. opting in or not but have not come up with the legal framework yet.

#10 bax

bax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

i find these by google "michigan medical marijuana" and set time to "results from last month" in search tools.

try also "michigan medical marihuana". or michigan medical marijuana licensed facilities without quotes.

spend hours looking in google results

#11 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Does a community have to have a zoning law on the books to regulate commercial grows? The reason I ask, we have commercial/ industrial buildings being used for commercial grows.

Sounds like this is to do with 'now' not future dispensaries and the new law for them.

The new law wording says that municipalities have some control and have the option to 'give permission' for grows.

This is one bad side effect of these new laws coming out, they give power to municipalities where they had none with the MMMA. 

So we will eventually have to deal with these municipalities thinking they are the deciders of whether we can have our medical grows anonymous and where we want them. 

To answer the question;

No, municipalities don't have any right to regulate a caregiver grow, even if they put some BS zoning law on the books to do so. But with the new 'empowering' wording for the asshat dispensaries we will have our rights eroded again. It's always an attack on medical when they start money grubby thinking about their cash cow dispensary business. How are we going to convince a municipality that the grow they don't make money off of, a medical grow, is one they can't mess with? Tell them they can't mess with their competition? This is a train wreck. 

#12 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,526 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

No, municipalities don't have any right to regulate a caregiver grow, even if they put some BS zoning law on the books to do so. But with the new 'empowering' wording for the asshat dispensaries we will have our rights eroded again. It's always an attack on medical when they start money grubby thinking about their cash cow dispensary business. How are we going to convince a municipality that the grow they don't make money off of, a medical grow, is one they can't mess with? Tell them they can't mess with their competition? This is a train wreck. 

Correct, but most municipalities that are currently allowing commercial cannabis activities have not thought this far ahead, if at all. It will be a trainwreck in a few months in certain areas.

#13 Dizledot

Dizledot

MMMA Author

• +Authors
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Sounds like this is to do with 'now' not future dispensaries and the new law for them.

The new law wording says that municipalities have some control and have the option to 'give permission' for grows.

This is one bad side effect of these new laws coming out, they give power to municipalities where they had none with the MMMA. 

So we will eventually have to deal with these municipalities thinking they are the deciders of whether we can have our medical grows anonymous and where we want them. 

To answer the question;

Yes, we have a few commercial / industrial building where it looks like the building owners have jumped the gun and gone full commercial in anticipation. I was curious as to if there were any laws that prohibit this because the township adopted the federal law and originally put a moratorium on dispensaries as soon as the law went into effect a few years ago.

#14 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• +CC-Dickinson
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Those places are likely just illegal as all dispensaries are as well, at this time.

• Apollo likes this

#15 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

Unless they are just caregivers servicing their 5 patients each connected through the registry;)

#16 blackhorse

blackhorse

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Planning commissions are starting to discuss the new marijuana laws.

A neighbor township just turned down the idea of having planning commission work on an ordinance. We need more informed people at these meetings to speak up. I only heard about it after the fact.

My township just had a presentation from a grower who wished to grow in township with the new law. Over the next six months, see lots of discussion of this topic.

#17 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• +CC-Dickinson
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:31 AM

Most municipalities are waiting for recommendations from MTA and MML.  Most action will happen in autumn and early winter of this year likely.

• blackhorse likes this

#18 blackhorse

blackhorse

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Front page of MTA magazine was about the new laws, thought it was quite informative. They discusses pros and cons of allowing.

Magazine stated some townships would opt in for the extra money that would be generated. MTA also has a question and answer section that I got a copy of. Still got to read though.

#19 shishka

shishka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

Where does one get a copy of or access to MTA magazine?

I did read the cover story but just stumbled upon it while reading the Pittsfield twp meeting minutes.

#20 blackhorse

blackhorse

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

I read it at our township hall. I will check to see if it is online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users