Local Zoning Law Question

Dizledot

since the state has not issued any licenses for 4209 businesses , there are no state approved businesses.

if your city / county prosecutors are cool with dispensaries... thats up to them.

hope that answers your question. MSP could raid at any time, but they would be in for a fight.

some townships are debating it, i've run into a few articles on the subject.

there is a lack of reporting on local govt affairs. no one reads newspapers.

so here is one that just popped up

http://eauclairemi.com/

Notice of Planning Commission Meeting

Tuesday February 21, 2017

At 6:30 PM

Eau Claire Village Hall

Agenda:

New Michigan Medical Marihuana Licensing Facility law

Old Blossomland VFW Post parcel foreclosure

Merit High Speed Internet Information

heres another

http://flushingview.mihomepaper.com/news/2017-01-26/Front_Page/Twp_to_consider_repeal_of_medical_marijuana_ordina.html

and another

http://www.upmichigancaregivers.com/daggett-notice/

The Village Council needs your input! We are considering implementing an ordinance for a Marijuana Distribution Center, but would like the residents to voice their opinion either through letters to P.O. Box 67, Daggett, MI 49821, or by attending a meeting the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m.

another

http://www.leaderpub.com/2017/02/09/buchanan-hosts-information-meeting-on-michigan-medical-marijuana-law/

its happening in every town and city right now, business owners talking to city planning depts.

Does a community have to have a zoning law on the books to regulate commercial grows? The reason I ask, we have commercial/ industrial buildings being used for commercial grows.

Sounds like this is to do with 'now' not future dispensaries and the new law for them.

The new law wording says that municipalities have some control and have the option to 'give permission' for grows.

This is one bad side effect of these new laws coming out, they give power to municipalities where they had none with the MMMA. 

So we will eventually have to deal with these municipalities thinking they are the deciders of whether we can have our medical grows anonymous and where we want them. 

To answer the question;

No, municipalities don't have any right to regulate a caregiver grow, even if they put some BS zoning law on the books to do so. But with the new 'empowering' wording for the asshat dispensaries we will have our rights eroded again. It's always an attack on medical when they start money grubby thinking about their cash cow dispensary business. How are we going to convince a municipality that the grow they don't make money off of, a medical grow, is one they can't mess with? Tell them they can't mess with their competition? This is a train wreck. 

Sounds like this is to do with 'now' not future dispensaries and the new law for them.

The new law wording says that municipalities have some control and have the option to 'give permission' for grows.

This is one bad side effect of these new laws coming out, they give power to municipalities where they had none with the MMMA. 

So we will eventually have to deal with these municipalities thinking they are the deciders of whether we can have our medical grows anonymous and where we want them. 

To answer the question;

No, municipalities don't have any right to regulate a caregiver grow, even if they put some BS zoning law on the books to do so. But with the new 'empowering' wording for the asshat dispensaries we will have our rights eroded again. It's always an attack on medical when they start money grubby thinking about their cash cow dispensary business. How are we going to convince a municipality that the grow they don't make money off of, a medical grow, is one they can't mess with? Tell them they can't mess with their competition? This is a train wreck. 

Yes, we have a few commercial / industrial building where it looks like the building owners have jumped the gun and gone full commercial in anticipation. I was curious as to if there were any laws that prohibit this because the township adopted the federal law and originally put a moratorium on dispensaries as soon as the law went into effect a few years ago.

Planning commissions are starting to discuss the new marijuana laws.

A neighbor township just turned down the idea of having planning commission work on an ordinance. We need more informed people at these meetings to speak up. I only heard about it after the fact.

My township just had a presentation from a grower who wished to grow in township with the new law. Over the next six months, see lots of discussion of this topic.

Well pinconning is interesting in that they will allow 25 grow facilities but all class A. No B or C class allowed. I like this approach myself. I do believe that is more than the community can sustain but let the cream rise to the top as they say. Better too many than too few I say.

Edited by shishka

Well pinconning is interesting in that they will allow 25 grow facilities but all class A. No B or C class allowed. I like this approach myself. I do believe that is more than the community can sustain but let the cream rise to the top as they say. Better too many than too few I say.

I thought it was overkill. But like you said, better too many than too few.