Officer Injured: Lands On 'bed Of Nails' At Burglarized Medical-Marijuana Facility

bobandtorey

WYOMING, MI - A police officer suffered serious injuries to his feet when jumped a fence and landed on a "board of nails" which was designed as a security device outside of a medical-marijuana facility, police said.

Officer Dustin Cook was "severely injured" when he landed on a 4-by-8-foot board containing 3-inch deck screws, police said.

Cook was treated at a local hospital and is recovering at home after sustaining injuries early Sunday, Feb. 12, in the 5300-block of Clay Avenue SW.

Police were responding to a 1:32 a.m. burglar alarm at the medical-marijuana production facility.

The first officers on the scene spotted two suspects fleeing the business. One of the suspects was seen dropping a handgun during a foot chase. Police, using a tracking dog, eventually arrested both suspects.

Police recovered the handgun as well as several marijuana plants that had been loaded into the suspects' vehicle, police said.

Tyquan Karim Hassel, 19, of Kentwood, was charged with breaking and entering a building and carrying a concealed weapon. Demitris Andres Sims, 19, of Grand Rapids, was charged with breaking and entering a building.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/02/officer_injured_lands_on_bed_o.html

Bond was set at $20,000.

After the arrests, police began a secondary search of the business and determined it was a legal medical-marijuana operation. The number of plants, however, "was well over" the amount allowed for a single caregiver, police said.

Police contacted Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team to investigate the business, with reports to be forwarded to Kent County prosecutors to review.

Police said that part of the business was fenced in and protected by barbed wire. The owner, in an attempt to increase security, also placed the "board of nails" on the interior fence line at the gated entrance.

Police said that Cook, the injured officer, had been with the department for six years. His injuries were described as severe after he jumped the fence and landed on the board, "impaling both feet with the screws."

So,...local cops respond and catch burglars thieving someones grow facility. They determine it is a legal grow operation?  But some douchebag higher up decided to call the drug task force? Then without a warrant?... the officer jumped the fence and impaled himself on a spike board?....

I wish it was on camera.  What a clusterfuk.

So,...local cops respond and catch burglars thieving someones grow facility. They determine it is a legal grow operation?  But some douchebag higher up decided to call the drug task force? Then without a warrant?... the officer jumped the fence and impaled himself on a spike board?....

I wish it was on camera.  What a clusterfuk.

what about them expensive body  cams, or the dash cam that gets  conveniently turned away., or past the view of the stop,, so they can do what they want off camera... hmmmm

WOW.  I bet that hurt - falling onto 3" screws.  But geeze.  How dumb can you be to jump from a six-foot fence without knowing what you are going to land on? 

It sounds like the impaler was legal.  But the cops and PA reeeealy wish they could find an excuse to find a crime of a property owner here. 

The cop screwed himself (pun intended) and now he wants someone else to take the blame. 

(I'm still LOLing at "screwed himself.")  Gawddam, I crack myself up. 

“I think anytime you set a trap of any sort that can cause harm or injury, it should be prohibited,’’ Carmody said Tuesday. “We have warnings on mice traps, but this is something we don’t have a law on the book on? It kind of defies gravity as far as I’m concerned.’’

What a dumb thing to say.  OK, so let's put warnings on beds of screws.  Would that have prevented the officer's injuries?  "Warning:  These here things are screws. And if you jump on them, they will impale you."  

I'm LOLing at "defies gravity."  Hahahah  The officer didn't defy gravity. 

Jumping from six feet + gravity + plus upright screws = injury. 

A label warning the officer of screws wouldn't have worked.  If you are too stupid to see upright screws, you probably wouldn't see the warning label anyway.  Who jumps from six feet without being sure of what they'll land on? 

It was mean ol' Mr. gravity who caused this injury.  We MMJ folks should be responsible to warn officers that gravity is in effect. 

WOW.  I bet that hurt - falling onto 3" screws.  But geeze.  How dumb can you be to jump from a six-foot fence without knowing what you are going to land on? 

It sounds like the impaler was legal.  But the cops and PA reeeealy wish they could find an excuse to find a crime of a property owner here. 

The cop screwed himself (pun intended) and now he wants someone else to take the blame. 

(I'm still LOLing at "screwed himself.")  Gawddam, I crack myself up. 

Police found an elaborate marijuana grow operation; more than 90 mature plants were found, investigators said.  That exceeds the amount the licensed marijuana caregiver was authorized to have.

I guess we will never know

Thanks for posting 

http://www.12news.co...ation/408460372

but remember, "plants" are any part of the plant growing or not

police count leaves on the ground or in the trash as plants.

so accurate numbers of plants are hard to come by, especially by lying police officers in multiple cases who have destroyed evidence before trials begin.

Edited by bax

• 4 months later...

Marijuana caregiver gets probation for grow operation where Wyoming officer was impaled

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/marijuana-grower-gets-probation-for-grow-operation-where-wyoming-officer-was-impaled/451358772

GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - A medical marijuana provider who had too many plants at a grow facility where a Wyoming police officer was injured while investigating a break-in was placed on probation Thursday for maintaining a drug house.

Stacy Marie Hahn also got an earful from the sentencing judge, who says Michigan’s medical marijuana statute is “poorly written.’’

“I quite frankly believe the people who wrote that statute were probably smoking it at the time,’’ Kent County Circuit Court Judge Mark Trusock said. “It is poorly written and most attorneys can’t understand it.

“This is, unfortunately, another situation where someone was trying to comply as best as you could with the medical marijuana act,’’ Trusock said.  “Here you had 87 plants, which was more than what was allowed. This was not a situation where you were selling to people illegally on the street.’’

Under Michigan’s Medical Marijuana law, the most plants a caregiver can have is 72. Police found 87 plants in the grow facility Hahn operated in a grey brick building on Clay Avenue north of 54th Street SW.

That discovery came after her facility was targeted by thieves in February.

Wyoming officer Dustin Cook was investigating the Feb. 12 break-in when he scaled a gate to reach a broken window. On the other side was a sheet of plywood with more than 100 three-inch, threaded decking screws pointing upward. His feet were impaled.

Criminal charges were not filed against the person who set-up the bed of screws because prosecutors were unable to find a criminal statute that applied.

Trusock, noting Hahn’s otherwise spotless record, put her on probation for a year and ordered that she perform 150 hours of community service.

Under terms of the sentence, Hahn’s record will be wiped clean if she successfully completes probation.

“You evidently had been broken into several times, there were some booby traps around the fence and unfortunately, a police officer stepped on that and injured himself,’’ Trusock said. “That is not part of this criminal case.’’

• 2 weeks later...