Nmu Medicinal Plant Chemistry Degree

swamper

I have to say that I had a class right after an organic chemistry class at NMU, and on test days many people were leaving that class darn near in tears.

New degree program for 2017

MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - A new bachelor's degree program is coming to Northern Michigan University in the fall of 2017.

The university's board of trustees approved the medicinal plant chemistry program Friday at their board meeting.

The program will prepare students for success in emerging industries relating to plant production, analysis and distribution.

Board members said the program will be unique in Michigan and leading edge in the country.

"There was a real need to be able to study, to be able to understand, the components of medicinal plants and so we think this is a really innovative program and I think one of the only ones in the country," Northern Michigan University President Fritz Erickson said.

The four-year program will combine experimental horticulture and advanced analytical chemistry with an optional entrepreneurial track.

By the end of the program, students will get hands-on experience cultivating and harvesting legal plants

I have to say that I had a class right after an organic chemistry class at NMU, and on test days many people were leaving that class darn near in tears.

MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - A new bachelor's degree program is coming to Northern Michigan University in the fall of 2017.

The university's board of trustees approved the medicinal plant chemistry program Friday at their board meeting.

The program will prepare students for success in emerging industries relating to plant production, analysis and distribution.

Board members said the program will be unique in Michigan and leading edge in the country.

"There was a real need to be able to study, to be able to understand, the components of medicinal plants and so we think this is a really innovative program and I think one of the only ones in the country," Northern Michigan University President Fritz Erickson said.

The four-year program will combine experimental horticulture and advanced analytical chemistry with an optional entrepreneurial track.

By the end of the program, students will get hands-on experience cultivating and harvesting legal plants

wow this is pretty cool. but only legal plants. no peyote...darn it. :( I wonder if they will allow cannabis? or will it only be federally legal drugs because of university federal funding? hmm

wow this is pretty cool. but only legal plants. no peyote...darn it. :( I wonder if they will allow cannabis? or will it only be federally legal drugs because of university federal funding? hmm

In case you don't know, medical marijuana is legal in Michigan, so yes I would assume so.

That's a tough class. Lots of memorization. Lots of math formulas. I bet they were tears of relief. All that cramming, long nights with a book. We always partied after the tests. The tests were landmarks, a huge part of your grade. And that could be the hardest class you had that semester. 

One of the guys that runs the hydro shop near me went through a horticulture program like this one. I don't think it makes him any extra money. Make sure you have a clear plan to make the most of your education. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

This is a very good learning method! Indeed, in fact, plants are used in most medicines and help to cure many diseases, so it is very important to have a program of herbal chemistry. I think they took this idea from asa college hialeah, because a similar program has already been introduced here for a long time, in the specialization "medical care". This college, by the way, has a lot more things that other educational institutions could adopt. In short, here students receive initial training in anatomy, physiology, emergency medicine, microbiology, pharmacology and psychology. The program focuses on teaching basic medical terminology, patient scheduling, medical billing, clinical care, medical law and ethics.

Edited by Adamovsky