County Beefing Up Medical Marijuana Enforcement

bobandtorey

I have only been able to corroborate 2 stories.

One was a previous encounter with LEO, followed by a "compliance check" a couple weeks later. Knock and talk style. Search allowed. In compliance.

The other was a caregiver that advertised their caregiver business.  Very small town. Was a  result of one of their patients caught growing marijuana without possession rights.  "Compliance check" initiated due to concern over plant counts. No issue after search.

So, those are the 2 I have confirmed,... I have heard of others.

That's funny, do the police there actually do any investigative work? Most of the cases that come our way are based on snitching at this point, and based on illegal search warrants.

That one you guys won a little while back about the trash pull. That's what's happening around me. They pay the trash guy $1000 to do their work. 

I'm going on a jury soon and we have a trash pull case coming up. Just like the one you guys posted about. I'm hoping I get lucky enough to get on that jury. 

A mistake in a newspaper report brought frightened medical marijuana users to the Livingston County Board of Commissioners meeting Monday night.

The report wrongly said sheriffs are planning to use a state grant for unannounced spot checks at patients' homes.

Because of the stigma of being a medical marijuana user, many people who spoke at the meeting would identify themselves only by first name, like Denise from Hartland.

She says spot checks of patients violate the Fourth Amendment, "our right to not being searched and seized in our own homes."

Other speakers talked poignantly of the difference medical marijuana has made in their lives.  Shannon Trittschler says she was diagnosed with Stage IVb ovarian cancer in 2015. 

"I am prescribed 45 mg of morphine, three times a day," said Trittschler. "Oxycontin, Percocet, every four to six hours. If I did that, I would not be able to function. I would look like a complete drug addict in front of my children, and could not make a sandwich. So for someone to come in and invade my privacy, it's not OK with me."

It turns out the sheriff only intend spot checks on businesses that distribute medical marijuana.

But the grant budget also anticipated spending about $38,000 for enforcement and surveillance equipment, including  a trailer to haul contraband away, portable radios, a portable fingerprint scanner, night vision equipment, and Tasers.

The sheriff's department is now backing off on the Tasers; it say it's open to discussing with the public other ways to use the grant. Livingston County at this point has no medical marijuana dispensaries; sheriff's department officials say they want to be proactive rather than reactive, in case the dispensaries and their anticipated problems do arrive.

The grant also anticipated spending about $2,000 for public education on medical marijuana laws.

It's going to be hard to change what has happen now?

http://michiganradio.org/post/mistake-news-report-causes-distress-among-livingston-county-medical-marijuana-users

A mistake in a newspaper report brought frightened medical marijuana users to the Livingston County Board of Commissioners meeting Monday night.

The report wrongly said sheriffs are planning to use a state grant for unannounced spot checks at patients' homes.

Because of the stigma of being a medical marijuana user, many people who spoke at the meeting would identify themselves only by first name, like Denise from Hartland.

She says spot checks of patients violate the Fourth Amendment, "our right to not being searched and seized in our own homes."

Other speakers talked poignantly of the difference medical marijuana has made in their lives. Shannon Trittschler says she was diagnosed with Stage IVb ovarian cancer in 2015.

"I am prescribed 45 mg of morphine, three times a day," said Trittschler. "Oxycontin, Percocet, every four to six hours. If I did that, I would not be able to function. I would look like a complete drug addict in front of my children, and could not make a sandwich. So for someone to come in and invade my privacy, it's not OK with me."

It turns out the sheriff only intend spot checks on businesses that distribute medical marijuana.

But the grant budget also anticipated spending about $38,000 for enforcement and surveillance equipment, including a trailer to haul contraband away, portable radios, a portable fingerprint scanner, night vision equipment, and Tasers.

The sheriff's department is now backing off on the Tasers; it say it's open to discussing with the public other ways to use the grant. Livingston County at this point has no medical marijuana dispensaries; sheriff's department officials say they want to be proactive rather than reactive, in case the dispensaries and their anticipated problems do arrive.

The grant also anticipated spending about $2,000 for public education on medical marijuana laws.

It's going to be hard to change what has happen now?

http://michiganradio.org/post/mistake-news-report-causes-distress-among-livingston-county-medical-marijuana-users

So the ones that spoke out are probably on the radar now to.

That one you guys won a little while back about the trash pull. That's what's happening around me. They pay the trash guy $1000 to do their work. 

I'm going on a jury soon and we have a trash pull case coming up. Just like the one you guys posted about. I'm hoping I get lucky enough to get on that jury. 

around here they just get an informant that lives on your street to scoop it up when they know you aren't home. 

There is almost no way for that procedure to be legal. Any decent attorney could destroy an affidavit based on a trash pull done by an informant. Do they name the informant in the affidavit?

Yeah I think you are right. Maybe the person is a dectective that lives on my street then or just likes going through trash haha. I caught them on camera picking up my neighbors trash and then picking up mine the next week.

There is almost no way for that procedure to be legal. Any decent attorney could destroy an affidavit based on a trash pull done by an informant. Do they name the informant in the affidavit?

Chain of custody is a huge issue.  I agree that any decent attorney could/should demolish the credibility of the evidence. 

Yeah I think you are right. Maybe the person is a dectective that lives on my street then or just likes going through trash haha. I caught them on camera picking up my neighbors trash and then picking up mine the next week.

I don't throw anything MMJ related in my trash.  If some joker wants to sift through used cat litter and dog poop, go for it. 

i think zap meant a guy who collects trash wouldnt work as evidence because the chain of custody would be lost.

if the trash guy calls the police and the police pick up the bag, then thats evidence.

i dont get how its evidence, anyone could have left a bag at your curb. or billy bong's curb. its open to the public...

never throw out anything personal info in your trash...