Clubs

GregS

It is time we renew our detemination to organize and operate under common auspices to provide quality product and service to patients in response to the expectation that dispensary interests intend to marginalize or eliminate caregiving. To that end, clubs are the obvious option. Michael's office informs me that we can count on them to again officially help out with that effort. I do not know just what direction that will take, but coming together with a stated mission with clear objectives and rules are necessary. Please refresh yourselves regarding the Operational Guide subheading under the Compassion Club option at the top of the page.

Please respond, either here or PM.

Thanks

Edited by GregS

Honest assessment here,...

it is a lot of work.

Too much work for most people to donate consistently for any period of time.

I would say, if people are serious about restarting CC's, Leaders would need to be paid for their time.  Thus, funding is an issue.

I am not talking much here.  But if you actually want peoples time, I would say $100/month which would cover One or two meetings a month plus wtvr extra time is needed.

I know it sounds a bit silly, but I do not see people remaining dedicated otherwise.

There is always other costs to a club as well. Printing and possibly advertising.

So,... if I were being serious, I would figure out a way to incentivize local people to become club leaders by offering a pittance of pay for their time.

I would also point out, from running the DCCC for like 5 years,... I would EASILY spend 20 hours a month directly helping patients through the club.  Most months were well over that when I was doing home growing cultivation teaching at homes.  Much driving and much time invested. 

So,.. almost no one is like me and does these things for free and at my own expense for years.

I am not tooting my horn, I am simply stating, people aren't willing to spend such time, spend their own money for no other reason than concern, passion and foresight.

Basic club funding and a pittance reimbursement is probably the only way to get enough people to do it.

I mean, CC's failed for a good part due to greed and people unwilling to do the work for free. So they started selling pot, running markets, becoming dispensaries, or doing funny things with hoarding patients to themselves.

So,... I know those of us from back then know this stuff, but, if you actually plan to do this, understand what caused previous failure.

There were many other reasons for failure, but.... those were big ones that ate up over 50% of the clubs.

We all know full well how Joe Cain balled things up immensely, leaving a bad taste in many of our mouths. For that reason Kormon has been adamant that he would not lend official MMMA support to continuing organizing efforts. Because the game has changed with dispensaries becoming a potential threat to caregiving and a new bogey man, and correct me if I'm wrong zap, his office has now agreed to again support us.

My thoughts are to stay the hell away from commercial ventures, keeping with non profit revenue streams and to offer continuing support and guidance to caregivers in their relationships with patients. Best practices and caregiver agreement to organization rules in order to remain in good standing come to mind. Systems management in handling operations is a skill to be sought after.

Some of us have been worn out with diminishing participation in the clubs. The excitement and enthusiasm of the early days have, as was to be expected, waned as the courts parsed the law, clarifying issues and, thanks to them, standing down much misguided government intrusion. I am not so naive to think we are out of the woods in that regard. There is no argument that many here stood tall for a long time. Those efforts are recognized and thanks are due. I do not think it wise to belabor the point with those who gave much through adversity and are, for whatever reason, reluctant to take part in any capacity.

Edited by GregS

I also think an emphasis on socializing is good as well. Non politically motivated quite often.  Not nearly as many n00bs coming to the program. But maybe a focus on a gathering point may help.  Of course a full information source, but ... ehh wtvr.

Seems almost all 'events' are only fundraising expensive ticket oriented anymore. 

It wont be easy and I am serious about a central org that can actually help fund leaders of clubs.  Like 'hire' people. Theres a lot of patients that can use an extra hundred bucks a month and it is enough to motivate them to organize meetings/gathering once or twice amonth. *shrug*

The long and short of it is, "What are we willing to do to protect our interests?" Will patients work to keep affordable, excellent quality, neither of which can come from dispensaries, but which is provided daily by caregivers who, well, care? Will caregivers stretch to even better provide in the face of competition and the likelihood that government and dispensaries, some run by foreign actors, intend to move us out?

Edited by GregS

i would, but all i see are people just want to go to a store and buy their meds.

I tried that and they didn't have anything decent. None. Nothing. Just fluffy stuff. I'm used to the real deal and can't find anything like that unless I grow it myself. If patients want that garf then I think they don't know there's much better out there for less. Growers take their worst to the dispensary and keep their best for people close to them. That's obvious and smart. 

I'm just going to keep growing top shelf and telling it like it is. That's our best weapon as caregivers, our superior cannabis.

A caregiver grower, that is willing to sell to a patient directly, is what you find at the end of a rainbow.

Of course a dispensary would take the best sticky buds out of what they sell you. It's just an extra bunch of hands grabbing what they want and then selling it, just like always with a middle man. And then they take what's left and jack the price up because they have to because they have to pay for all that overhead and still try to make a profit off of patients. 

Edited by Restorium2