rso bho simpson oil

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 mibrains

mibrains

Why do you eat people? Not people...BRAINS

• Forum Leaders
  • 4,455 posts
  • Location- i seem to end up where i am needed most just in the nick of time.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

my new iso 3 quartermaster has arrived a day early...thank you UPS.

it was very well packaged and it seems very well built. I am beyond impressed with the items that are included as well as the instruction manual.

i am one of 50 people as i understand it being offered a significant discount to purchase the machine and then help by testing the units out and offering feedback on its use and operation.

I welcome feedback here so we can all have a positive learning experience.

To be honest it took me a lot of maneuvering and sacrifice to be able to purchase this machine at this time in my life.

i have been waiting for something like this for quite some time.

i have zero experience with ethyl alcohol extraction techniques.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

i plan on starting of with two types of alcohol

- everclear starting out 151 proof

- vodka starting out at 110 proof

i should be able to distill the starting alcohol and refine it closer to 190 proof with this machine before i begin the extraction process.

gallery_8052_1270_225561.jpg

gallery_8052_1270_316539.jpg

#2 bax

bax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

you couldnt find everclear 190 ? just curious. is it available for sale in michigan?

also would exnay on distilling alcohol without a license... might be seen as moonshining.

Edited by bax, 08 March 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#3 williams2311

williams2311

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

you couldnt find everclear 190 ? just curious. is it available for sale in michigan?

also would exnay on distilling alcohol without a license... might be seen as moonshining.

I don't think they sell it in Michigan. I went to a grow shop not long ago that had 200 proof alcohol
  • mibrains likes this

#4 mibrains

mibrains

• Forum Leaders
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

151 is the strongest you can get in Michigan unless i import which requires an additional license after the first purchase and the rules and regulations can get a bit prickly... so i am going to try my own first.

the ISO 3 Quartermaster has the ability to recapture the solvent used.. as a part of that process the alcohol naturally will be distilled every time i run it becoming more and more pure with every use..where some will be lost in the process due to evaporation however the majority will be reclaimed, purified and reused as part of the machines function.. i am totally not concerned with processing and refining the alcohol that i am going to use for my reclamation purposes i think the only way that would get me into trouble is if i resell the alcohol.

in order to achieve any proof over 190 or 95 percent alcohol must be made using added chemicals to be able to remove the humidity that the natural exposure to air would cause...and i do not want to add anything at this juncture.

i may order 190 proof or even 200 proof depending on my results.

the only real disadvantages that i am currently aware of to using less pure alcohol is that it will make the recapture process much slower because the water takes longer to evaporate and that it could cause some less than desirable water soluble compounds to be extracted into the oil along with the beneficial compounds.

#5 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

Several liquor stores in the metro area have rectified spirits, which are what you are looking for here. A place called Cork and Barrel on Northwestern Hwy has a couple of different kinds.

• mibrains likes this

#6 mibrains

mibrains

• Forum Leaders
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

good deal thank you zap... i am several many hours away from the metro area..but willing to travel if it would make a difference in my final results.

what is a rectified spirit?  is there an advantage to using it for cannabis essential oil gathering and refining?

i should take a moment to state my intentions i suppose with the results of this machine.

i want to be able to make a pure refined product that i can use easily and safely in my pen or home vaporizer.

i want to be able to make a whole plant product that i can store in a syringe that i can then put into food directly or a capsule and ingest the cannabis beneficial compounds by eating it (which is working more towards the cancer fighting elements i strongly seek).

#7 mibrains

mibrains

• Forum Leaders
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

ahhh

thank you wiki

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rectified spirit, also known as neutral spirits, rectified alcohol, or ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin[1] is highly concentrated ethanol which has been purified by means of repeated distillation, a process that is called rectification. In some countries (e.g. India), denatured alcohol or denatured rectified spirit may commonly be available as "rectified spirit", but this is poisonous and depending on one's body size, ingestion can be fatal.

It typically contains 95% alcohol by volume (ABV) (190 US proof). The purity of rectified spirit has a practical limit of 95.6% ABV when produced using conventional distillation processes, because a mixture of ethanol and water becomes a minimum-boiling azeotrope at this concentration.

• zapatosunidos likes this

#8 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

The only bad thing about having less than 100% alcohol is waiting for the machine to make it for you.

Any kind of alcohol; If the machine boils it and the cup catches it, then if you boil what you caught in the cup it will totally boil off. 

This brings us to the conclusion that if you could boil it off, in an enclosed system, not exposed to the atmosphere, and capture that, what you have captured would totally leave the cannabis oil when you boil that. Exactly what we are trying to accomplish. 

I have two ISO 2 machines. I've run them until their nose bleeds since 2009. It used to be a discovery. Now it's just like making coffee in the morning. 

The first thing is preparing the cannabis that you will be extracting. Lets talk about that.

What would be the best thing to do with it to get it prepared? What could be 'in the way' of getting a perfect product? 

#9 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

I use 91% iso alcohol. I used to use 99% but that became unavailable. I've always first boiled and reclaimed with the machine so it doesn't matter much.

I always leave at least 20% of the raw liquid in the machine, I don't totally boil off all the raw alcohol because that leaves the 'heavier' stuff, maybe some contaminants in the the 20% which I discard. It's error proofing the alcohol just in case the manufacturer made a mistake. 

Edited by Restorium2, 09 March 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#10 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

As discussed in the other thread, even 99% ISO becomes 91% after a few runs, as it is hydrophilic at higher percentages. Thorough drying of the product might slow down the process, but I doubt it matters. 91% works just as well in a machine like this for the reasons you described.
  • GrowGoddess likes this

#11 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

hydrophilic

[hi″dro-fil´ik]

readily absorbing moisture; hygroscopic; having strongly polar groups that readily interact withwater.

The machine uses an enclosed environment with a limited amount of water in the small amount of air inside the machine. People make hash oil in an 'open air' method. Imagine the difference, how much less water is available for the alcohol molecules to bond with. When the alcohol molecules are bonded to water they are not doing the work you need them to do.

This also brings us back to how to prepare the cannabis before it will used in the machine.

#12 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

I get ya, but eventually it will end up at 91%.
  • GrowGoddess likes this

#13 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

We have to do our best to limit the alcohol exposure to H2O at every step of the process. This insures the best product. But a tiny bit of pure H2O in the oil doesn't effect most all medical uses. The H2O is in at such small quantities it's common to have a solid product at room temperature, not even enough H2O to make the hash oil a liquid at room temperature. I believe the cannabis waxes and lipids bond with the H2O molecules, that why it's solid, then you can remove those plant waxes and fats with the winterization process. 

#14 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

We have to do our best to limit the alcohol exposure to H2O at every step of the process. This insures the best product. But a tiny bit of pure H2O in the oil doesn't effect most all medical uses. The H2O is in at such small quantities it's common to have a solid product at room temperature, not even enough H2O to make the hash oil a liquid at room temperature. I believe the cannabis waxes and lipids bond with the H2O molecules, that why it's solid, then you can remove those plant waxes and fats with the winterization process. 

Really, the water comes back out during the evaporation process, so you are left with no water in the oil. That is the point of the azeotrope. The water and the alcohol evaporate at the same rate, at a lower temperature than the boiling point of either substance alone.

In a cold evaporation process like Grow Goddess uses, the higher vapor pressure of the alcohol is what causes the evaporation of the alcohol before the water. You don't have that problem at the natural boiling point of the azeotrope, which is what this machine is likely designed to maintain.

• GrowGoddess likes this

#15 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Very true. The main reason we limit the H2O is because when the alcohol molecules are carrying the H2O they don't have as much polarization to grab the cannabinoids. 

#16 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Very true. If you start with something like 70% iso or vodka, you will be waiting a long time for extraction, and the product will generally be green.

• GrowGoddess likes this

#17 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

I get ya, but eventually it will end up at 91%.

One thing I would like to point out is that this 91% you would end up with is a known 91%. It's not 9% of something that came with the alcohol in the bottle. It's all H2O out of the air it came in contact with after you boiled and caught the pure alcohol that boiled below the boiling points of the stuff you want to leave behind. The stuff the manufacturer of the alcohol might have left in there. You don't have to count on the manufacturer so much if you used the machine to purify the alcohol. 

#18 Restorium2

Restorium2

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

Very true. If you start with something like 70% iso or vodka, you will be waiting a long time for extraction, and the product will generally be green.

And the other 30% is really unknown coming straight out of the container. It's unknown and could be in your final product. That could be fine but in my opinion it is better left behind. 

#19 zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

91% iso is made by azeotrope distillation, so there will be nothing but water and alcohol in the bottle when you get it.

• GrowGoddess likes this

#20 mibrains

mibrains

• Forum Leaders
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

why iso guys?

dave from d gold alchemy clearly in his instructions says to only use iso in a topical not in one meant for human consumption?  any meant for consumption including my vape should be done with food grade ethyl alcohol?

what am i missing here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users