Gov. Rick Snyder Says Healthy Michigan 'not Affordable' Under Gop Plan

Any pre tax IRA can lower your adjusted gross income.  Up to $18,000/yr. 

So for example,... lets say your gross income is $62,000 and you get zero subsidies.  By funding any pre tax retirement 401k, you could lower your MAGI to as low as $44,000 and qualify for a subsidy.  There are a few other ways to lower your MAGI to qualify for subsidies.

This is why I don't like HSA's.  You can protect your other pre tax 401k  retirement accounts from medical bankruptcy and any medical bills. Whereas with an HSA eligible 401k, they get to strip it dry.

And shiska,... ugh,... that sux.  You are right in that screew you zone. :-(

I think people like yourself would benefit the most from a medicare buy in..... the ol "public option" type thing.

Also, Medicare is not a panacea as some make it out to be right.  It is still just a basic 80/20 coverage plan. You still go broke. Heh.  And people do still pay monthly for medicare part b. I think it is minimum $134/month premium or something. Higher income raises that premium a bit.

I think people think medicare is like free and covers everything sometimes.

Still paying premiums. Still paying copays. Still paying 80/20.

Any pre tax IRA can lower your adjusted gross income.  Up to $18,000/yr. 

So for example,... lets say your gross income is $62,000 and you get zero subsidies.  By funding any pre tax retirement 401k, you could lower your MAGI to as low as $44,000 and qualify for a subsidy.  There are a few other ways to lower your MAGI to qualify for subsidies.

This is why I don't like HSA's.  You can protect your other pre tax 401k  retirement accounts from medical bankruptcy and any medical bills. Whereas with an HSA eligible 401k, they get to strip it dry.

And shiska,... ugh,... that sux.  You are right in that screew you zone. :-(

I think people like yourself would benefit the most from a medicare buy in..... the ol "public option" type thing.

That video I posted on the previous page ......

You can take money out of the HSA without penalty to pay medical bills. You would have to prove a hardship to do that with your 401K. But either way you are ahead of the game saving pre tax to lower your taxable income. 

Only certain medical bills.

But yea,... if you have the money, have almost no healthcare costs, there are some advantages. :-)

If you could pay premiums with it, it would be more helpful.

wow so I just realized that if you don't have insurance the government charges you 2% of your income. really? I can understand car insurance being required but heath insurance? wtf. I'm not endangering anyone by not having heath insurance. I never get sick. Haven't been to a primary doctor since 2010...but they are going to charge me for being healthy. this is insane. 

I can't believe I didn't realize this bs until now. This is pure evil and unamerican. 

Aren't car insurance costs mostly health insurance costs?

Heh.

But yea,... Healthcare is not an easy topic.  Especially once ya like REALLY understand it.

I actually support a single payer plan paid through taxes.  Public insurance to private businesses. Generally the current Medicare system, but more properly taxed in a fair manner and lessening out of pocket expenses and pharma controls. (No caps, Investment income taxed same as payroll)

Aren't car insurance costs mostly health insurance costs?

Heh.

But yea,... Healthcare is not an easy topic.  Especially once ya like REALLY understand it.

I actually support a single payer plan paid through taxes.  Public insurance to private businesses. Generally the current Medicare system, but more properly taxed in a fair manner and lessening out of pocket expenses and pharma controls. (No caps, Investment income taxed same as payroll)

yeah, I think in michigan is the only state that makes you pay for medical coverage on car insurance haha. I use my address in georgia for auto insurance because michigan is triple what I pay there. 

edit: oops it's not the only state, it just requires the highest medical coverage.

Edited by briefcasejoe

yeah, I think in michigan is the only state that makes you pay for medical coverage on car insurance haha. I use my address in georgia for auto insurance because michigan is triple what I pay there. 

edit: oops it's not the only state, it just requires the highest medical coverage.

Michigan is the ONLY state to guarantee Lifetime medical benefits caused by an auto accident.  The only state. And, even so,... still only has the 7th highest premiums in the country.

*shrug*

Ya get what ya pay for. :-)

Michigan is the ONLY state to guarantee Lifetime medical benefits caused by an auto accident.  The only state. And, even so,... still only has the 7th highest premiums in the country.

*shrug*

Ya get what ya pay for. :-)

Not only does the state guarantee lifetime medical benefits, they pay the medical provider a premium.   For example when you have a hospital procedure and say the cost is 10,000, if you have health insurance, say Blue Cross, the typical bill will read, 10,000 then show something like 8,500 as the agreed to price that the hospital has agreed to charge Blue Cross.   For whatever reason in the case of payments for auto related medical expenses, Michigan pays out the 10K.  Seems they should subcontract the management of the program to Blue Cross or similar firm and get the discounted price.

Yea,... tax deductions and many credits in this realm of discussion do not really help the lower 50% of wage earners and their families.

Maybe a tiny bit if itemization is even feasible.

But for those in the upper 50% of earners, there is definitely some benefit to lowering AGI and tax liability.

Wow, not only are they planning  to cut 24 million people off of health insurance,... the republican Congress just added an amendment that would cut what insurance covers that was guaranteed by Obamacare:

ten essential benefits which the amendment will eliminate:

The proposal is to eliminate ten essential benefits that, according to the Affordable Care Act, must be offered as part of any insurance plan. Those benefits are:

• Outpatient care without a hospital admission, known as ambulatory patient services
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization
  • Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care
  • Mental health and substance use disorder services, including counseling and psychotherapy
  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices, which help people with injuries and disabilities to recover
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive care, wellness services, and chronic disease management
  • Pediatric services, including oral and vision care for children

Aren't republicans just special people?

Outpatient care with admission cuts the procedure cost in half.

Emergency room services not covered.

Hospitalization minimally covered if at all.

No or little coverage for pregnancy and newborn care.

Mental health? who needs to treat people for mental health problems. Welcome back Ronald Reagan.

No need to cover prescription drugs. Who uses those anyway?

Need rehab after an injury? Out of your own pocket.

Laboratory tests. Who needs to know what their blood work says?

Why should kids(or adults for that matter) not be guaranteed dental visits and eyeglasses.

So,... with no guarantees on any of those, it allows insurance to charge HUGE extra costs to have ANY of those services.

Unbelievable.

Fuk everyone that votes republican IMHO.

Republicans and Trump voters,.... do you support this stuff?

"Conservatives say repeal of the essential health benefits, which mandate what an insurance plan must cover, is necessary to bring down premiums. Republican leaders had been wary, though, given that it is in doubt whether repeal of those regulations would be allowed under Senate rules that are preventing a Democratic filibuster."

Essential health benefits are the benefits that Obamacare forces healthcare insurance to cover.

(A)
. [outpatient care]

(B)

©
. [inpatient care]

(D)
and
care

(E)
and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment.

(F)

(G)
and habilitative services and devices.

(H)

(I)
and wellness services and
management;

(J)
services, including
and vision care.