Recreational Marijuana Petitions For The Ballot Initiative Are Now Available

william7

As Wild Bill suggested, here's a thread for showing where to go to sign the petition. I signed the petition at Grow Masters in Menominee. Their address is: 2900 10th St, Menominee, MI 49858.

The man running the store gave me the leaflet below about a cannabis legalization meeting to be held locally. He said it was from NORML.

He also advised me that a lot of signatures were rejected for the 2016 petition because people didn't write their names exactly as they appeared in the voter registration. He said many people were too high when they signed. 

kO5TZFB.jpg

Edited by william7

I guess they were really strick on the 2016 petition and invalidated many signatures for missing things like their middle name. The guy told me your name had to appear identical to the way it was on the voter registration. Even back in the 1970s on the mediocre weed we had, we might have forgot to add our middle name or middle initial. When the guy told me this I went home and got my letter giving notice I was registered to vote to make sure. This guy who told this was young - probably in his late 20s - and a medical marijuana user himself. 

Edited by william7

I guess they were really strick on the 2016 petition and invalidated many signatures for missing things like their middle name. The guy told me your name had to appear identical to the way it was on the voter registration. Even back in the 1970s on the mediocre weed we had, we might have forgot to add our middle name or middle initial. When the guy told me this I went home and got my letter giving notice I was registered to vote to make sure. This guy who told this was young - probably in his late 20s - and a medical marijuana user himself. 

To say that people's signatures are not qualifying because they were too high is pure ignorance with a twist of negativity that we don't need. 

Most everyone is going to sign their name the same either way, high or not. It's not like being drunk. 

The fact is that a lot of people don't sign their name like it is on the voter records. Nothing to do with being high. 

I like the informational aspect of telling people they need to sign like on the voter records. That is very useful. But the 'too high to sign right' is simply from someone who is either very ignorant, or wants to be negative about people who use cannabis. Or a stupid joke. Take your pick. 

To say that people's signatures are not qualifying because they were too high is pure ignorance with a twist of negativity that we don't need.

Most everyone is going to sign their name the same either way, high or not. It's not like being drunk.

The fact is that a lot of people don't sign their name like it is on the voter records. Nothing to do with being high.

I like the informational aspect of telling people they need to sign like on the voter records. That is very useful. But the 'too high to sign right' is simply from someone who is either very ignorant, or wants to be negative about people who use cannabis. Or a stupid joke. Take your pick.

All true. When I was a kid, we applied for passports. I was only 8. My dad sat me down to sign the docs and then was very disappointed because I signed just my middle initial rather than my full middle name, so we had to redo the application. My mom stepped in and told me to always sign my full name on any document, that way I wouldn't forget and sign it wrong.

That said, my first name is "Michael." I lever liked that name much and have signed most legal documents in my adult life with the name I go by, "mike." My credit accounts show "mike" as an alias. And sometimes I sign just "M" with no middle name and the surname signed. Sometimes, when depositing checks into my bank account, I just sign with a scribbled "M.-.-.-S". I've never had an issue with that either.

So I can see where some folks aren't recognizing the need for a petition signature to match some standard. And many might not even know if their full name is on their Voter ID or just a middle initial or nothing pertaining to a middle name at all.

I think a lot of this comes down to people trying to disqualify votes. Republicans know that the more votes = the worst outcome for them. So they do anything possible to disqualify voters.

Some people might not be as sharp as you Restorium2 and being stoned might compound their lack of thinking skills a bit. Again, the young man, an employee of the Grow Masters shop which openly advocates the growing of cannabis and sells supplies for doing so, who is a medical marijuana user himself provided me the information. You might want to take the matter up with him. https://www.facebook.com/Grow.Masters.MI/

Edited by william7

Some people might not be as sharp as you Restorium2 and being stoned might compound their lack of thinking skills a bit. Again, the young man, an employee of the Grow Masters shop which openly advocates the growing of cannabis and sells supplies for doing so, who is a medical marijuana user himself provided me the information. You might want to take the matter up with him. https://www.facebook.com/Grow.Masters.MI/

Plenty of stupid out there. Don't blame cannabis. Just take my advice and move on from that way of thinking. You will go far. 

You have your choice to not get high. Just be careful with the feelings of others who enjoy it. Cannabis doesn't make you stupid, hate does.

All true. When I was a kid, we applied for passports. I was only 8. My dad sat me down to sign the docs and then was very disappointed because I signed just my middle initial rather than my full middle name, so we had to redo the application. My mom stepped in and told me to always sign my full name on any document, that way I wouldn't forget and sign it wrong.

That said, my first name is "Michael." I lever liked that name much and have signed most legal documents in my adult life with the name I go by, "mike." My credit accounts show "mike" as an alias. And sometimes I sign just "M" with no middle name and the surname signed. Sometimes, when depositing checks into my bank account, I just sign with a scribbled "M.-.-.-S". I've never had an issue with that either.

So I can see where some folks aren't recognizing the need for a petition signature to match some standard. And many might not even know if their full name is on their Voter ID or just a middle initial or nothing pertaining to a middle name at all.

I think a lot of this comes down to people trying to disqualify votes. Republicans know that the more votes = the worst outcome for them. So they do anything possible to disqualify voters.

And actually disqualify people who are high signing these petitions. It's dehumanizing to say people who are high can't function well enough to sign their name properly. Next they will take away our right to vote because we vote high. 

If you are going to post important things then It's your job to spot a stupidass comment and don't pass it on. Take it for what it is. If you parrot it here then you are just as bad. 

And actually disqualify people who are high signing these petitions. It's dehumanizing to say people who are high can't function well enough to sign their name properly. Next they will take away our right to vote because we vote high.

Right. And we've already seen courts take the position that possession of a MMJ card is evidence of likely MJ use. What a terrible leap of assumptions. So what's next, having an Rx for pain meds means you're usually high? And aren't qualified to have enough judgement to vote? It's all just a sham/scam to try to suppress votes from the poor, sick, and downtrodden.

The only reason I mentioned what the young man told me was to help people think more carefully when signing the petition. I would like to see everybody have the right to grow and use cannabis as they see fit. Many users of cannabis use other drugs as well (I never knew anyone who just smoked cannabis when I was a kid). May be the people signing the petition should give it a rest for the day they sign.

If you are going to post important things then It's your job to spot a stupidass comment and don't pass it on. Take it for what it is. If you parrot it here then you are just as bad. 

If I report opinion information given by another, this doesn't make me as bad as that individual who provided it if you do not agree with that opinion. This isn't logical thinking at all. Your job is to point out how the opinion isn't accurate and to not shoot the messenger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_messenger. Got it?

ACCEPTABLE SIGNATURE VARIATIONS
The following variations are acceptable and do not render a petition signature invalid:
 Signature appears as follows: J. Smith; J.B. Smith; Mrs. J. Brown; Mrs. J.B. Brown; Mrs. John Brown.
 Illegible signature.
 Any of the following: signer prints name in entry provided for signature; signer fails to print name in entry provided for printed name; signer enters his or her cursive signature in entry provided for printed name.  (Note: a signature is invalid if signer prints name in entry provided for printed name -- and fails to enter his or her signature in the signature entry.)

While it is not necessary for petition signers to sign their name exactly as it appears on their voter registration record, petition signers should be urged to follow this practice.  This will assist in the verification of the signer’s registration status if necessary.

Edited by blackhorse

ACCEPTABLE SIGNATURE VARIATIONS

The following variations are acceptable and do not render a petition signature invalid:

 Signature appears as follows: J. Smith; J.B. Smith; Mrs. J. Brown; Mrs. J.B. Brown; Mrs. John Brown.

 Illegible signature.

 Any of the following: signer prints name in entry provided for signature; signer fails to print name in entry provided for printed name; signer enters his or her cursive signature in entry provided for printed name.  (Note: a signature is invalid if signer prints name in entry provided for printed name -- and fails to enter his or her signature in the signature entry.)

While it is not necessary for petition signers to sign their name exactly as it appears on their voter registration record, petition signers should be urged to follow this practice.  This will assist in the verification of the signer’s registration status if necessary.

This is good news! I'm pretty certain the guy told me it had to be exactly like on the voters registration. Possibly I didn't hear it right. I actually went home and got my voter registration letter to make sure.

This is good news! I'm pretty certain the guy told me it had to be exactly like on the voters registration. Possibly I didn't hear it right. I actually went home and got my voter registration letter to make sure.

Yup. The whole thing was total BS with a little hater on top. Hearing you loud and clear. And not for the first time. 

Yup. The whole thing was total BS with a little hater on top. Hearing you loud and clear. And not for the first time. 

But on second thought I think I did hear it right. Otherwise I wouldn't have went home and got my voters registration had I thought there was no need to. He wasn't reading from a rules form to me and he didn't show me a rules form. And he didn't stop from going home to get that information.

And he did tell me people were coming in to high for the 2016 petition and were signing it wrong in his opinion. Got it?

Edited by william7

But on second thought I think I did hear it right. Otherwise I wouldn't have went home and got my voters registration had I thought there was no need to. He wasn't reading from a rules form to me and he didn't show me a rules form. And he didn't stop from going home to get that information.

And he did tell me people were coming in to high for the 2016 petition and were signing it wrong in his opinion. Got it?

It isn't a bad thing to say sign as you did for your voter registration(which is commonly the same as DL) because the voter registration system is what they check signatures against.

Not bad advice, but not 100% correct.

in 2016 they barely got half the signatures they needed in either 6 month time frame. The 'bad' signature ratio was actually pretty low compared to other ballot initiatives that have occurred.  So "stoners' are better at it than non users I guess?

Then he's a hater that doesn't understand the people he sells to and you are his parrot. I got it.