Divided Membership

What are we gonna do ?

Good question.

My suggestion:

This organization changes itself from the top down. That's what we should do. I wrote about this briefly in a different forum but I'll reiterate here.

Remember ValuJet? If you do then you probably remember their plane that went down in the Florida Everglades back 1996. They were a low-cost, no frills airline company. After the crash they knew it was going to be very difficult to recover reputation, etc. So what did they do? They reinvented themselves. Now they are called AirTran. Same low cost, same no frills, BETTER reputation. They regulary receive high customer satisfaction awards as well as other accolades.

So, I think this organization should change its name. If it is truly pt and cg focused then incorporate at least the word patient, and maybe caregiver, into the name. Michigan Medical Marijuana Patient Advocacy? The name alone suggests that the corporation stands for protecting patients and their rights. No one could read the name and not know that. The current name could mean a number of things. If you read it in the paper and weren't aware of it you may think it stands for patients, or caregivers, or dispensaries, etc.

Change the leadership. Make the board a consortium of patients and caregivers as well as the current owner(s). Then change out the board every year or so. Make the corp. activities transparent. The added boardmembers need not have an ability to vote out the owners. Maybe only give them a fractional vote or maybe only let them vote on policy. Give the paid membership the power to vote on board members. This increases paid membership and gives the corp. more resources. It also makes everyone who pays a yearly membership genuine stakeholders who feel like they matter in the fight. Doing this will also make board members address membership concerns. No more handing down edict from the CEO because he thinks plan A is the best. Let the members give feedback.

Develop a clear mission statement that is front and center on the home page. Develop a vision statement. Develop positions. Make that stuff important. Make it so you don't have to pour over endless forum threads to discover what the new MMMPA groups is all about.

Develop revenue streams from membership dues, donations, advertising, etc. Pay the CEO a livable salary. Also compensate a board admin. Maybe provide a small stipend for mods. Require that mods MODERATE. Don't let them give legal advice, fight, etc. If they want to participate in discussions then let them sign on under a non-mod pseudonym. That way you don't have newer members thinking that the mod status means they know more and therefore following THEIR legal advice.

Hire an attorney to answer questions on the forums a couple hours a week.

Make fiances transparent so there is HUGE trust in the organization.

I could go on and on but if all of that stuff were to be implemented think of what this place could be. No complaining about money because it would be right out there to see where the money goes. No more complaining about positions because we would have a member-elected board to develop positions and strategies and post them CLEARLY for all to see.

All of the above in a nutshell---run this place like a professional organization. I have tons of ideas.

Heck if we were able to do all that then we could embark on self-policing. Develop standards and practices. Test product for pesticides, mold, etc. and give caregivers and dispensaries a "seal of approval" for clean test results. Etc., etc. If we self policed then the lawmakers are a heck of a lot less likely to tell us what to do. Many professional groups self police and the government stays out of it. Physicians, attorneys, etc.

Hire a real lobbyist. Someone with experience and a proven track record. Have a constant presence in Lansing. Even when no bills are pending. The lobbyist could also be the face of the organization. The press secreatry so to speak. Someone well-spoken and well-dressed that can present a good image on television.

That's awesome but where can it be found? Virtually any nonprofit that I know of has their broad mission statement and also their vision statement posted front and center. In fact, many nonprofits have something framed and on the wall right when you walk in their front door. It would be nice to see that here. Front and center on the main page, followed by positions on the major issues. The only way to be taken seriously is to conduct ourselves in a professional manner. cain's old way when asked about positions was to rattle something off in a random thread. This stuff needs a page of its own and not on a forum. Something that lists absolute goals and positions on issues.

top of page. COMMUNITY tab. ABOUT US

Good question.

My suggestion:

This organization changes itself from the top down. That's what we should do. I wrote about this briefly in a different forum but I'll reiterate here.

Remember ValuJet? If you do then you probably remember their plane that went down in the Florida Everglades back 1996. They were a low-cost, no frills airline company. After the crash they knew it was going to be very difficult to recover reputation, etc. So what did they do? They reinvented themselves. Now they are called AirTran. Same low cost, same no frills, BETTER reputation. They regulary receive high customer satisfaction awards as well as other accolades.

So, I think this organization should change its name. If it is truly pt and cg focused then incorporate at least the word patient, and maybe caregiver, into the name. Michigan Medical Marijuana Patient Advocacy? The name alone suggests that the corporation stands for protecting patients and their rights. No one could read the name and not know that. The current name could mean a number of things. If you read it in the paper and weren't aware of it you may think it stands for patients, or caregivers, or dispensaries, etc.

Change the leadership. Make the board a consortium of patients and caregivers as well as the current owner(s). Then change out the board every year or so. Make the corp. activities transparent. The added boardmembers need not have an ability to vote out the owners. Maybe only give them a fractional vote or maybe only let them vote on policy. Give the paid membership the power to vote on board members. This increases paid membership and gives the corp. more resources. It also makes everyone who pays a yearly membership genuine stakeholders who feel like they matter in the fight. Doing this will also make board members address membership concerns. No more handing down edict from the CEO because he thinks plan A is the best. Let the members give feedback.

Develop a clear mission statement that is front and center on the home page. Develop a vision statement. Develop positions. Make that stuff important. Make it so you don't have to pour over endless forum threads to discover what the new MMMPA groups is all about.

Develop revenue streams from membership dues, donations, advertising, etc. Pay the CEO a livable salary. Also compensate a board admin. Maybe provide a small stipend for mods. Require that mods MODERATE. Don't let them give legal advice, fight, etc. If they want to participate in discussions then let them sign on under a non-mod pseudonym. That way you don't have newer members thinking that the mod status means they know more and therefore following THEIR legal advice.

I could go on and on but if all of that stuff were to be implemented think of what this place could be. No complaining about money because it would be right out there to see where the money goes. No more complaining about positions because we would have a member-elected board to develop positions and strategies and post them CLEARLY for all to see.

All of the above in a nutshell---run this place like a professional organization. I have tons of ideas.

Heck if we were able to do all that then we could embark on self-policing. Develop standards and practices. Test product for pesticides, mold, etc. and give caregivers and dispensaries a "seal of approval" for clean test results. Etc., etc. If we self policed then the lawmakers are a heck of a lot less likely to tell us what to do. Many professional groups self police and the government stays out of it. Physicians, attorneys, etc.

Hire a real lobbyist. Someone with experience and a proven track record. Have a constant presence in Lansing. Even when no bills are pending. The lobbyist could also be the face of the organization. The press secreatry so to speak. Someone well-spoken and well-dressed that can present a good image on television.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

ABSOLUTELY!

Mizerman

.... when i started the topic i was trying to state that all my fears of a cpu run MMMA were put to bed when i was assured that no admin,mod.or anyone else from cpu was on staff or in any leadership role....and that's just fine with me..but i can't help feel that cpu has had a disruptive influence in what is an already a difficult time for the MMMA and i'm not familiar enough with cpu to have an opinion of them, other then their activities here.i wish them well...i'm going to try my best to get to Lansing the 17th,..perhaps it will be for nothing and you can call me foolish,stupid or anything else you want(this opening was for you cristi..lol)but i want to be there.perhaps a few others will show up and we can sit on the steps and have a pop.....i hope that the MMMA and its members remember what we're in this for,...protecting those that can't protect them self's,and helping those who need help, when we can.. along with many other things...there now i'm done,said what i wanted to say,..thanks...zb/bp

Said I wasn't say any thing for a while but,that is where (about us page) that info belongs, thus the about us.

Oh, THERE IT IS!!! ;)

How about that's on the home page. And how about position papers are developed and posted 'a la CPU style?

Good question.

My suggestion:

420Peace CaveatLector,

The only problem with your wonderful ideas is that the 3ma is 2 Politically Correct and micro managed...

Okay, so who wants to start the MMMPA? If the mmma doesn't want to that's cool. Maybe we start a new organization?

I tried for 2 years to convince komorn, chad carr that joe cain was a danger for the Marijuana Culture...

Just recently they both admitted I was right all along...

So now will they listen to us...

From my recent experience with the 3ma adminstration and mods I have to Say No...

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, a 3ma tradition!

I tried for 2 years to convince komorn, chad carr that joe cain was a danger for the Marijuana Culture...

Just recently they both admitted I was right all along...

So now will they listen to us...

From my recent experience with the 3ma adminstration and mods I have to Say No...

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, a 3ma tradition!

good to see you back i still remember your 420 plan i still think it was good and also the first big protest that you and the MMMA had

now about Joe he did ban a lot of people from here but now it is worse imho i would not want his job and now if we did not no who to believe we sure don't no now and if we did no what are we to do about it

things are about to change BIG time with this law weather we like it or not this Law will not be the same this time next year i feel for the people that spent a lot of money on growing Equipment and may or may not stop growing because now the State has are address the courts will fill up fast

I don't think they are asking you to follow. No one is saying the mmma shouldn't be sending their representatives or lobby to Lansing.

From what I understand CPU was started BECAUSE no one was doing anything. The mmma dropped the ball. There was a lobby in Lansing from the anti players such as MSP, PAAM, SBA, the courts, sheriff's assoc., the AG, etc., etc. All breathing down the necks of lawmakers to "fix" the law.

For some strange reason joe cain decided it was best to go to Lansing and scream and throw temper tantrums. It didn't take long before the lawmakers saw that the 3-year-old behavior was ridiculous and he/mmma lost credibility. So they didn't listen to him. Then, since they wouldn't have anything to do with him he pretended it was best to take a "hands off" approach. That was really his way of not telling the membership that the reason he wasn't in Lansing was because of his poor behavior. That's how I think it went down/my opinion. I've heard interviews of state reps describing his behavior. He acted in an unprofessional manner but expected people to take him seriously.

finaly someone accidentaly answered my question. even though it was someone else asking this time.

Lets be fair Clector, I appreciate your disqualifying statement. As well as your efforts to explain this dilemna we find ourselves confronted with. Joe did have his own style, a little herman cain some rick perry but like them he gave it his best shot.

As far as your description of the effect of our efforts is questionable as to the effectiveness and how the message was recieved. All politicians and citizens saw a surge in citizen outrage last year via the numerous demonstrations throughout the country. Starting out of the midwest in Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, then us in Lansing, then the Occupy WS that went Global. I think we have their attention now, however they are behaving more contrary than ever before. What are we gonna do ?

they fight harder now cause they can see themselves loosing. we are slowly winning but we are tired of being patient. too many decades.

good to see you back i still remember your 420 plan i still think it was good and also the first big protest that you and the MMMA had

now about Joe he did ban a lot of people from here but now it is worse imho i would not want his job and now if we did not no who to believe we sure don't no now and if we did no what are we to do about it

things are about to change BIG time with this law weather we like it or not this Law will not be the same this time next year i feel for the people that spent a lot of money on growing Equipment and may or may not stop growing because now the State has are address the courts will fill up fast

420Peace bobandtorey,

Ahhh the First generation 3ma...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbZpArimyxY

.... when i started the topic i was trying to state that all my fears of a cpu run MMMA were put to bed when i was assured that no admin,mod.or anyone else from cpu was on staff or in any leadership role....and that's just fine with me..but i can't help feel that cpu has had a disruptive influence in what is an already a difficult time for the MMMA and i'm not familiar enough with cpu to have an opinion of them, other then their activities here.i wish them well...i'm going to try my best to get to Lansing the 17th,..perhaps it will be for nothing and you can call me foolish,stupid or anything else you want(this opening was for you cristi..lol)but i want to be there.perhaps a few others will show up and we can sit on the steps and have a pop.....i hope that the MMMA and its members remember what we're in this for,...protecting those that can't protect them self's,and helping those who need help, when we can.. along with many other things...there now i'm done,said what i wanted to say,..thanks...zb/bp

zb/bp, hope I dont embarass you! me and you have been able to get along, or am I wrong(<this is the embarrasing part lol), and im not saying you agree with everything I say nor me you! but I do think your a good person, I am NOT a member of c.p.u, I would like to be though! and not because I want to go talk to reps, I wish I thought I could hold my long suffering painful anger in long enough to help us, I have to be Honest, I think some one like me would put a bad name on pts, not because I dont know how to speak to people, but because (YOU JUST CANT FIX STUPID) And I know I would lose it, like in the judiciary hearings, I couldnt be calm, some folks were very nervious and if they didnt say to many stupid things, they were looked at as pts who need help from there reps, the ones that babbled and made idiots of them selves and talked about everything but was on the bills, well they didnt do us much justice, cpu is not full of bad guys, and nope we dont know them, and we dont go on an open forum there, but ive had the op to read and speak to a few of the members, (i asked to join they ignored me) <that alone tells me they are pretty darn smart! lmao! wouldnt ya have to agree with that at least! Im here because this is the first mm site I started on, and Ive met so many good people from here, Id have to say in person from here Ive never met a bad person either! this is a great site, if the mmma is not or is part of helping im behind them too! It is time to band together! all of us whether we like each other or not, we are all wanting to keep what we have in our law, and heck id like a lil more also!:thumbsu:

Peace

Jim

Archived